overcharge

Prominent
Nov 14, 2019
I have a samsung 970 evo 250gb nvme which I have moved from my old pc to my new. I have decided to install a fresh copy of windows 10 pro and have been unable to.

I have used a USB with the media creator tool and the first time I was able to install windows onto my nvme but when it restarted, it didn't boot into windows and the bios didn't recognise it and I couldn't install windows onto the nvme again from my USB. I then tried using my old m.2 which is a 860 evo and did a fresh install of windows which worked just fine and I was able to get all my drivers and other stuff installed.

Does anyone know why I am unable to put windows on my nvme and why it isn't recognised by my pc anymore?
Is it some settings I need to adjust in my bios or what?
I do have a 1tb HDD that I did unplug so it shouldn't be a problem

pc specs
r7 1800x
evga gtx 1070 sc
Gigabyte AB-350 Gaming (not gaming 3)
Deepcool Gammaxx 400
Corsair cs750m
1TB WD Blue 7200rpm HDD
120gb 860 evo (working)
250gb 970 evo (not working)

Solution
Your NVMe drive needs to be partitioned as GPT prior to Windows installation. Do not use MBR, it will not be bootable this way (well, at least not without a whole lot of trouble). After you partition it correctly, you can proceed to install Windows. After it is done, go to your BIOS and set the 1st bootable drive as "Windows Boot Manager" or something similar.
Your NVMe drive needs to be partitioned as GPT prior to Windows installation. Do not use MBR, it will not be bootable this way (well, at least not without a whole lot of trouble). After you partition it correctly, you can proceed to install Windows. After it is done, go to your BIOS and set the 1st bootable drive as "Windows Boot Manager" or something similar.

Reactions: overcharge
Solution

overcharge

Prominent
Nov 14, 2019
In the windows setup, I have deleted all the partitions so I'm left with a single 248gb unallocated partition. How do I format it to be GPT not MBR?
Problem has been fixed after using cmd to convert it to gpt

Last edited: