Question Problem with optical cable (switch, media conventor, switch)

Jul 18, 2019
Hello everyone,

could you please help me with this problem ? At this time I have got switch (Allied Telesyn AT-8326GB) where I have got integrated optical module (AT-G8SX-01 - Allied Telesyn). I have got optical cable from outside which are connected into this switch via SC connector to AT-G8SX-01 module. Next there are some other devices connected into this switch.

I need to replace this solution and I bought TP-Link MC210CS media convetor + TP-Link TL-SF1016D (switch). But when I want repleace it. It doesnt work. I have got optical cable connected into media conventor (sc connector), next from media conventor (TP-Link MC210CS) is rj45 cable connected into switch (TP-Link TL-SF1016D). And PCs, printers are connect into new switch (TP-Link MC210CS). But network is broken.

Do you have any ideas where can be a problem ?

Thank you

Jul 18, 2019
Fiber tends to take a lot of knowledge to mess with. You purchased the wrong media converter. The physical connectors are only 1 variable when you choose these. You must purchase the correct wavelength and power rating.

I see it now.
TP-LINK MC210CS - convert from 1000BASE-LX/LH to 1000Base-T (which i have and doesnt work)

TP-LINK MC200CM - convert from 1000BASE-SX to 1000Base-T (so with this convertor it should work thats right ? )

That one will work but it depends on what you have already purchased. It tends to be cheaper many times to buy a switch with the newer SFP ports. You can get sfp that also support 850nm ie sx. The physical connector is LC but you can get SC-LC adapters that convert your fiber.

The SC stuff is very outdated so it tends to be hard to get equipment that supports it.

Just a sample switch...I keep this one linked because it is PoE powered but it has 24 copper gigabit ports and 2 SFP+ ports which can run 10gbit if you use SFP+ modules, it will run normal SFP at 1gbit.

All for $139. You would have to carefully select compatible SFP modules but they are generally less than $20.

https://mikrotik.com/product/CSS326-24G-2SplusRM#fndtn-specifications

Jul 18, 2019
That one will work but it depends on what you have already purchased. It tends to be cheaper many times to buy a switch with the newer SFP ports. You can get sfp that also support 850nm ie sx. The physical connector is LC but you can get SC-LC adapters that convert your fiber.

The SC stuff is very outdated so it tends to be hard to get equipment that supports it.

Just a sample switch...I keep this one linked because it is PoE powered but it has 24 copper gigabit ports and 2 SFP+ ports which can run 10gbit if you use SFP+ modules, it will run normal SFP at 1gbit.

All for $139. You would have to carefully select compatible SFP modules but they are generally less than $20.

https://mikrotik.com/product/CSS326-24G-2SplusRM#fndtn-specifications

Thank you very much