Question Problem with overclocking I7-8700K

Feb 13, 2019
Hi, im kind of new at overclocking and i have seen several guides how to overclock i7-8700K with Strix Z370 but it seems like what ever i do it wont be stable even at 4,8Ghz and 1,3Vcore.
Im lost, i dont know what to do, is some of my parts wrong, or do i have bad airflow?

My setup:

Cabinet: Phanteks Eclipse P400
PSU: EVGA G2
MB: Asus Strix Z370-H
CPU: I7-8700K
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 C14 DC - 16GB
Cooler: Corsair H115i RPG
SDD: Evo 860
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080TI

H115i is placed in front and 2 corsair ML120 in top og cabinet, and 1 at the back side

DavidM012

Distinguished
Sounds like you chose all the right hardware what are the temps like? You have a top vent and an exhaust fan so I don't think airflow is the problem.

Was it stable at 4.7ghz?

The experience of others suggest that the motherboard was not considered strong for overclocking that could be a limiting factor perhaps?

Should be able to reach 4.8

fiddle-faddling for days

Everything except the board passes a check.

Presuming that the system has been properly assembled & you didn't forget to apply thermal paste to the cpu block, I would conclude the problem is most likely the board.

I personally have a very smiliar rig, same cpu and mobo, a gtx 1080 and a 970 pro for gpu and ssd respectively.
my cpu gets to 5 easily and although I haven't tried, i believe I can make it stable at higher, as my h150i pro rgb can handle such heat.
The motherboard is not the problem (unless it faulty)
bent pins or dirty pads (on the cpu) can result in lesser a overclocking potential.

Feb 13, 2019
Hi guys thanks for answering. I today bought a Asus Maximus X Hero Motherboards and now all my trouble seems gone..

Now im running 5Ghz stable so thats very Nice. 100% Load = 77-80 c.