[SOLVED] Problem with overclocking Ryzen 3400G iGPU ?

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
Hello everyone, it's my spec:
cpu and igpu: Ryzen 3400g
Mb: Asus b450m-A
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz CL18 (xmp enabled but with xmp it works as 3200Mhz Cl18 as my cpu can't handle 3600mhz, tried many different freqs and timings to make my own xmp profile :) and now it works at 3400Mhz 16-19-19-35 with Dram Voltage 1.35 V)

ok, with every other Voltage setting on auto and every Gpu and Cpu setting on auto, when i increase IGPU freq from 1400Mhz to 1600Mhz (which is called Extreme mode in Asus bios), there is absolutely no performance gain in FurMark when i do a gpu test! both times (when it's on auto and when it's at Extreme mode which is 1600Mhz) i get 1658 scores :/ , and also when i set it to Extreme mode, when i open BIOS, the minimum temp of cpu is 57° ! and it goes up to 70° and cpu is not stable and when i start a cpu stress test, the system freezes and have to restart it.
Another thing i have to mention is that when Gpu freq is on auto mode, the Cpu Core Voltage in BIOS is about 1.32-1.38V which i think is ok but when i set GPU Freq to Extreme mode , the CPU Core Voltage becomes 1.52-1.54 V !!!! i guess it's high right?!
so, what should i do? any suggestion?

VDDCR Cpu Voltage in Bios is set to Auto and shows 1.45V next to it.

Solution
5-8 fps increase

Single digit FPS increase isn't noticeable, unless you are fixated to the FPS counter on top of your screen.

You can get the same FPS increase even when you reduce in-game graphical settings. This is far easier to do and doesn't put your hardware on a risk, by either feeding way too much voltage to it, or causing thermal throttle.

Also, it depends on a game. CPU bound games (e.g Cities: Skylines), care little, if any, about GPU.

---

Another thing is, that not all APUs are created equal. Your Ryzen 3400G iGPU (Vega 11) works at 1400 Mhz, but if you OC it to 1600 Mhz, iGPU works, but makes whole APU packet unstable, since OC is too much. Now, you can try with 1500 Mhz, since that's "safe" OC, but there is no...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
so, what should i do? any suggestion?

Don't OC your iGPU. Instead, buy dedicated GPU and OC that.

iGPU is there to get the PC running and use it more-or-less normally (web browsing). But for gaming, dedicated GPU is preferred since iGPU isn't powerful enough to run modern games. At least graphical heavy games.

Even if you, somehow, get iGPU OC stable, the "gain" of it isn't noticeable, since the iGPU is weak to begin with.

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
Don't OC your iGPU. Instead, buy dedicated GPU and OC that.

iGPU is there to get the PC running and use it more-or-less normally (web browsing). But for gaming, dedicated GPU is preferred since iGPU isn't powerful enough to run modern games. At least graphical heavy games.

Even if you, somehow, get iGPU OC stable, the "gain" of it isn't noticeable, since the iGPU is weak to begin with.
thank u for the reply, but I don't have enough money to buy dedicated gpu so forget about that :(

And about igpu oc, if you watch youtube videos of 3400g igpu oc, you'll see it gains really good performance:)
so please if you can help me , do it cuz i need help

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but I don't have enough money to buy dedicated gpu

GPU prices, yes, have been high, 2-3 times of MSRP. But prices are currently dropping and GPU market should normalize at the end of this year, or next year.

Also, good GPUs aren't only RTX 3000 series. There are plenty of good and cheaper GPUs out there. E.g GTX 1660 Ti, that i too have, is best for 1080p gaming. Heck, even GTX 1050 Ti is miles better than Vega 11 you have,
comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-Vega-11-Ryzen-iGPU-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/m401440vs3649

if you watch youtube videos of 3400g igpu oc, you'll see it gains really good performance

Deceptive information. Or better yet, contact the video uploader and ask them how they did the magic. Maybe they can help you.

But the truth is, you can not get e.g RTX 3060 performance out of Vega 11, regardless what you do.

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
GPU prices, yes, have been high, 2-3 times of MSRP. But prices are currently dropping and GPU market should normalize at the end of this year, or next year.

Also, good GPUs aren't only RTX 3000 series. There are plenty of good and cheaper GPUs out there. E.g GTX 1660 Ti, that i too have, is best for 1080p gaming. Heck, even GTX 1050 Ti is miles better than Vega 11 you have,
comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-Vega-11-Ryzen-iGPU-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/m401440vs3649

Deceptive information. Or better yet, contact the video uploader and ask them how they did the magic. Maybe they can help you.

But the truth is, you can not get e.g RTX 3060 performance out of Vega 11, regardless what you do.
yes, but i can get 5-8 fps increase in games with OCing igpu

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
5-8 fps increase

Single digit FPS increase isn't noticeable, unless you are fixated to the FPS counter on top of your screen.

You can get the same FPS increase even when you reduce in-game graphical settings. This is far easier to do and doesn't put your hardware on a risk, by either feeding way too much voltage to it, or causing thermal throttle.

Also, it depends on a game. CPU bound games (e.g Cities: Skylines), care little, if any, about GPU.

---

Another thing is, that not all APUs are created equal. Your Ryzen 3400G iGPU (Vega 11) works at 1400 Mhz, but if you OC it to 1600 Mhz, iGPU works, but makes whole APU packet unstable, since OC is too much. Now, you can try with 1500 Mhz, since that's "safe" OC, but there is no guarantee that you'll gain any performance (extra FPS) out of it.
Next bloke in line, with their 3400G and Vega 11, may get stable OC at 1600 Mhz. While 3rd bloke in the line has it stable at 1400 Mhz and not even a single digit more.

But if you want a guide, here's one such:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_KalBvndR0

Do note that in there, he just didn't OC the iGPU, but also APU itself and also enabled RAM XMP. Thanks to all three combined, he got the 15-20% boost shown in video.

Solution

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020

---

Another thing is, that not all APUs are created equal. Your Ryzen 3400G iGPU (Vega 11) works at 1400 Mhz, but if you OC it to 1600 Mhz, iGPU works, but makes whole APU packet unstable, since OC is too much. Now, you can try with 1500 Mhz, since that's "safe" OC, but there is no guarantee that you'll gain any performance (extra FPS) out of it.
Next bloke in line, with their 3400G and Vega 11, may get stable OC at 1600 Mhz. While 3rd bloke in the line has it stable at 1400 Mhz and not even a single digit more.

But if you want a guide, here's one such:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_KalBvndR0

Do note that in there, he just didn't OC the iGPU, but also APU itself and also enabled RAM XMP. Thanks to all three combined, he got the 15-20% boost shown in video.
overclocking the cpu wouldn't do anything but overheating! that's why i insist on overclocking only the igpu part of the cpu, I've also enabled the xmp and done some changes in timing of RAM sticks as i said in the first post. as i said there, when i overclock the igpu to 1500Mhz , there is no performance gain, even it drops a little in tests with FurMark!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, i know. You even said that increasing iGPU to 1600 Mhz doesn't make a difference:

when i increase IGPU freq from 1400Mhz to 1600Mhz (which is called Extreme mode in Asus bios), there is absolutely no performance gain in FurMark when i do a gpu test!

Like said earlier, there is no guarantee that iGPU OC gives any performance gains. Just because one bloke in YT got lucky in silicone lottery and is able to keep high-level OC stable with their rig, doesn't mean every single 3400G is also capable of that.

overclocking the cpu wouldn't do anything but overheating!

If you would have better CPU cooler, to dissipate the extra heat form CPU OC, you could see performance gain.