[SOLVED] Problem with PC (Have to flick PSU switch off then on)

beardedturkey

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
I have to flick the PSU switch off and on otherwise my computer turns on and the fans are at max speed and the screen is blank.
When I flick the PSU switch off and on it boots fine.

I recently built a new computer but kept the same PSU, GPU, and case. Before my system was running windows 7 and I didn't need to flick the PSU switch but ever since wiping my hard drive, and swapping out the components I'm having this issue. I've tried wiping the drive and installing the Windows 10 again and it didnt work.

Help me trouble shoot this please!

Solution
It doesn't seem too relevant that your system ran fine on Windows 7, since you changed both hardware and OS, and only then began experiencing problems.

The change in hardware is much more significant

I must admit the to me, the PSU sounds like the most likely culprit, but I'm sure someone else be able to offer more advice.

What I would suggest to try, in order to confirm or rule out the PSU as the likely cause, you could see if you are able to borrow a known working PSU, with sufficient power, to see if the problems still occur, or if a differnt power supply solved the problems

The change in hardware has an impact on the PSU, but the operating system doesn't really

In case it is a failing PSU, you should be aware, that if it finaly...
If you could provide complete system specifications, including PSU make and model (and age), motherboard, RAM, CPU - everything which would be relevant for the troubleshooting process, it would help narrow down possible causes more quickly

Something from your description which stands out as a possible cause, could be your PSU from a previous system

But more information is required for more useful advice, otherwise it would mostly be speculation

Last edited:

beardedturkey

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 PC4 25600
MOBO: X570 Phantom Gaming 4
GPU: AMD Sapphire TriX R9 290x
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W 80 plus Gold Modular PSU. This psu is old like 5 years old...but i didnt have an issue with my other system which ran windows 7

Just to clarify, did you only change operating system, while keeping exactly the same hardware you were already using?

I was under the impression you had also upgraded a number hardware components.

No matter what operating system you have, it won't change PSU performance. PSU performance can sometimes decrease over time, and in a situation where you upgrade hardware components, it might finally put too much stress on your PSU, even if it has not showed any signs of problems until now.

You say that it was only when you upgraded to Win 10 the issues began, but in your previous post it sounds like the problems began while still running Win 7, and in an attempt to fix the problem, only then did you upgrade to a fresh Win 10 install. Is this a misunderstanding on my part maybe, or is that correct?

Can you describe something like a short timeline of the things which has changed - from installing the new hardware, when you noticed the problems and what operating system you used at the time.

I'm not saying that the PSU actually IS the cause of the problems, but the symptoms you describe, are fairly commen for inadequate power delivery or a PSU not performing to spec

beardedturkey

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
When running windows 7 everything was fine, I then upgraded my CPU, Mobo, and RAM.
I upgraded from the amd fx 8350 to the ryzen, and the mobo was upgraded along with the ram and I had to wipe the harddrive and put windows 10 on it.

It doesn't seem too relevant that your system ran fine on Windows 7, since you changed both hardware and OS, and only then began experiencing problems.

The change in hardware is much more significant

I must admit the to me, the PSU sounds like the most likely culprit, but I'm sure someone else be able to offer more advice.

What I would suggest to try, in order to confirm or rule out the PSU as the likely cause, you could see if you are able to borrow a known working PSU, with sufficient power, to see if the problems still occur, or if a differnt power supply solved the problems

The change in hardware has an impact on the PSU, but the operating system doesn't really

In case it is a failing PSU, you should be aware, that if it finaly fails, there's a potential risk to other components, so it is definately worth making sure, that the problem originates from something other than the PSU, before continuing to stress it

Solution
Are you sure no one can help you by lending you their PSU for a short while?

The reason why I ask is, that it would be unfortunate to purchase a new PSU, and it turns out it is not the problem. I don't mean to make you spend uneccessary money, although I still think the PSU is suspicous

Also, if you purchase a new power supply, I would suggest that you possibly ask for recomandations on these forums before deciding on one, since it can be somewhat difficult to purchase a PSU of adequate quality and peformance, trying to navigate all available options. There are some very well informed users around here. But it is for you to decide, of course