[SOLVED] problem with pcie slot

Dec 3, 2018
first of all sorry for my english
my system is this : is 3570k , msi z77a-g43 , gigabyte gtx 760 , 3*4 gb ddr3 ram
my board have 2 pcie slot ( first is 3.0 x16 and 2.0 x16 ) , my vga was fine on first slot for many years with out any probem then some day i start the pc and monitor shows up " no signal " massage
i tryed many things but nothing changed ( update bios , update drivers , cleaning pcie slot , .. ) then i put vga into second slot its ok but even under 100% load gpu-z shows the card working at pcie 2.0 x4 instid of x16
also my first pcie slot works fine with my old vga (unknown old 256 mb vga ) so its not dead just shows no signal with gtx 760 , i dont have any high end vga to test on it ...
any help to fix this problem ?

Solution
An involuntary shiver just went up my spine at that one.

I'm not a fan of buying used hardware....it strikes me in the same way the idea of wearing used underwear hits me--but that's just my own idiosyncrasy, I suppose.

If you can get an identical MB for a decent price, have at it. I'm also not a fan of doing full re-installs because of MB upgrades, so my idiosyncratic knife seems to cut both ways.

That's really your call, since you know what really is best for your situation--though I would lean in the direction updating the MB, myself.
Dec 3, 2018
Are you using DVI cable or HDMI ?
Check cable whatever you are using, and if possible check system with different GPU
i use HDMI but after this problem i cheked system with dvi too
i only have a 256 mb old gpu and its work fine with both pci e slots
also my gtx 760 is 100 % fine tested in diffrent systems

The differences between the GPUs probably mean that the older GPU will work in the PCIex16 slot without a problem, because it doesn't depend on the same connections that your gtx-760 does; and the fact that the gtx-760 works in the PCIex4 slot tells you that the GPU is probably fine. The only further test that you might do to verify that the gtx-760 is healthy would be to put it into a PCIex16 slot on another MB to see how it does.

All-in-all, you're probably looking at a problem with the PCIex16 connector on your MB; and, given the age of that MB (vintage 2012), I doubt that you're using the full capabilities of the gtx-760.

This might be a good time to consider replacing the MB.

Last edited:
Reactions: bizak1980
Dec 3, 2018
The differences between the GPUs probably mean that the older GPU will work in the PCIex16 slot without a problem, because it doesn't depend on the same connections that your gtx-760 does; and the fact that the gtx-760 works in the PCIex4 slot tells you that the GPU is probably fine. The only further test that you might do to verify that the gtx-760 is healthy would be to put it into a PCIex16 slot on another MB to see how it does.

All-in-all, you're probably looking at a problem with the PCIex16 connector on your MB; and, given the age of that MB, I doubt that you're using the full capabilities of the gtx-760.

This might be a good time to consider replacing the MB.
so its better to replace mb and cpu because buying another used z77 board is waste of money
but is there any chance to repaire the slot ? then i can buy new gpu(gtx1070) instid of mb and cpu ;D

An involuntary shiver just went up my spine at that one.

I'm not a fan of buying used hardware....it strikes me in the same way the idea of wearing used underwear hits me--but that's just my own idiosyncrasy, I suppose.

If you can get an identical MB for a decent price, have at it. I'm also not a fan of doing full re-installs because of MB upgrades, so my idiosyncratic knife seems to cut both ways.

That's really your call, since you know what really is best for your situation--though I would lean in the direction updating the MB, myself.

Reactions: bizak1980
Solution