Problem with port forwarding

leswww

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
Using a pc as a stand alone Minecraft server so I needed to set this up with a static IP on my home network so I could set up port forwarding on my router.

I tried assigning an IP address both lower or higher than the DHCP pool on the router. When I do this I can ping the server and run minecraft on the server with no problems within the LAN but when I try to port forward to this IP I always get the error "This IP address should be in the same Subnet as the LAN IP address.

I double checked and the Subnet is correct and if I try port forwarding to an IP address within the DHCP pool range it is accepted so it seems I cannot port forward to a static IP address.

What am I missing here?

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Without seeing the netmask and IP address you are attempting to use, the only guess would be that you are not using an address within the same subnet.

leswww

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015

leswww

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
Current router settings are:
IP Address: 192.168.0.1
IP Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: Enabled
Starting Local Address: 192.168.0.4
DHCP Pool Size: 97
DNS Server1: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server2:

IP Address set in minecraft server pc is 192.168.0.3 Subnet: 255.255.255.0
This address is accepted and is pingable and usable as a multiplayer connect in Minecraft from other pc's on my network.

But if I try to forward to this IP address, I get: "This IP address should be in the same Subnet as the LAN IP address" but if I try to foward to the first dhcp pool address 192.168.0.4 it adds the forwarding rule ok.

leswww

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
By the way before someone comments on it, the DNS Server1 setting is ok, it's how it was set initially and is correct for Ziggo (formally UPC) routers.

leswww

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
Hi Botnus, please forgive my ignorance but I'm not quite sure how I would do that on my router as there doesn't seem to be that sort of option through the menus?
thanks

Botnus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
I'm not sure if this is the same model as your router, but you can try the following instructions:
http://www.ubeeinteractive.com/support/consumers/faq/how-do-i-configure-dhcp-static-lease

This particular set of instructions mentions the MAC Address instead of the server's host name. To get the MAC address you can log in to your computer and go to the command prompt and, if you're running Windows, type in "IPConfig /all". In Linux, type "ifconfig".

leswww

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
Thanks Botnus, unfortunately this router is provided by the cable company Ziggo (UPC) and has a propriety interface so the instructions given by the UBEE website on the link you provded don't apply. They mention the "Tools" tab on the menu but that doesn't exist on my menu so I assume UPC have blocked this option.

Botnus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
Not being able to access the tools you need makes it a bit tricky. The only other thing I can think of is to see if your router supports Dynamic DNS and have your Server set up with a DHCP Address. I'd try to find a website to link you to, but everything I can find is in German.

My theory here is that, since the IP Address used by the server is outside of the the scope, and the IP Address/Hostname is not inputted into the router, that it is unable to resolve the host name to the IP Address.

Until we can test it, however, it just remains a theory =\

(Edit) Generally, when a DHCP lease is given to machine, the DHCP server remembers the MAC address of the machine that utilizes a specific IP Address lease. Therefore, as long as you don't have more devices on your network than you do IP Addresses available in the scope, you should be able to utilize DHCP without any problems, as it SHOULD pull the same IP Address every time it needs to renew its lease.

leswww

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015

leswww

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
I decided in the end to give up on this issue, switch the router to it's other mode and just use as modem. Then I'll attach another better router behind this. I beleive it's what many other users have done to solve the shortcomings.
Thanks anyway for your kind advice.
Les