Problem with portforwarding on 2 routers

Jun 12, 2018
I have a problem where friends can't connect to my servers anymore. Before where i used a linksys router as main, and a TDC router as a AP there was no problem opening the ports, but now where my TDC router didn't work anymore and i got a new router from asus i can't open any ports. I have tried opening all ports but still there is nothing open. What can i do to fix this issue?

Ralston18

Titan
Do the servers still have the same static IP addresses as before?

What make and model Asus?

Did you remember to turn off its' DHCP. Are you using a static IP address for the AP that is outside of the available DHCP IP address range allocated to the Linksys router?

Have you reserved all static IP addresses by MAC on the Linksys router?

Sketch out your network and devices. Note the assigned IP addresses. Verify subnet masks.

My thought is that some configuration setting has been overlooked or some error made when the new Asus was configured.

Jun 12, 2018
The current setup im using is, Modem -> Linksys -> Asus RT-N12+ -> Server pc.
The model of the asus is RT-N12+ and DHCP is turned off, so i only get ip's from the Linksys router. The server pc has a static ip.
Linksys router:
External x.x.x.x
Internal 192.168.1.1
Asus Router:
External 192.168.1.120 set to static ip
Internal 192.168.1.2
Computer 192.168.1.137

Currently the Asus router has Wan, nat enabled.

Ralston18

Titan
Jun 12, 2018
Currently i have the router setup as a wireless router and then the cable from the other router into port 1. This works and gives internet. I have tried setting the router on AP but it still doesn't fix the ussue that i can't port forward.

Ralston18

Titan
Can you provide a simple line diagram showing the devices and assigned IP addresses?

E.g."

ISP ---->Modem -----> Main Linksys router -------->Asus AP ------> server(s).

Where -----> are Ethernet cables. ~~~~> for wireless connections.

And what port are you trying to forward via the router?

Jun 12, 2018
Im currently trying to open ports for CSGO and it is 27015, I have inserted the port and ip of my server pc in the linksys router.

ISP ---> Modem ---> Main router / Linksys router (192.168.1.1) ---> Ap / Asus router (192.168.1.2) ---> Server pc (192.168.1.137)

Ralston18

Titan
Not noting any problems per se with the premise being that all subnet masks are 255.255.255.0

Be certain that the cable between Linksys and AP is using LAN ports on both ends.

And verify the server pc's static IP address (192.168.1.137) is reserved on the linksys router via the server pc's MAC. And that that IP address is outside of the available DHCP IP address range allocated to the linksys router.

Are you sure that 27015 is the only port needed?

Some sites list 27015-27030 as required.

The following link has different ports:

https://portforward.com/counter-strike/

And I am saw other combinations of ports being "recommended".

Does your ISP use IPv6? One site indicated that IPv6 needs to be disabled.... (?)

Reference:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/418030/discussions/0/1488861734100192086/?ctp=6

Another possibility is that your ISP is perhaps now blocking the port. E.g.:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/830112-ports-27015-27017-reported-as-closed-even-though-i-set-them-as-open/

However, since it worked before the new router I am still leaning towards a configuration issue in the new setup.

The present idea being that one of the links above will help you spot the problem. Not one to "reinvent the wheel" and really no point in doing so. Sometimes too much typing does not end well for me so it makes more sense to cut and paste in links instead. Especially when there is a lot of detail involved.

Jun 12, 2018
I have currently tried checking for the ipv6 on both my routers, and it is enabled, so i don't think that is the problem. When i'm checking i have forwarded the ports 27015-27030 and some other ports, and none of them give any result on yougetsignal.com and my friends still can't see my server. My Pc has a static ip (192.168.1.137) and the router tells the same. I have also set all the ports as open in my server pc's firewall so that shouldn't be a problem. So last thing i can do is check my Internet provider tomorrow and see what they tell me.

Jun 12, 2018
I have goten an answer from the isp today and they tell me that it is not a problem from their side of the line. He told me it could be a problem with the modem and it not letting my ports come through.

Ralston18

Titan
Is the modem yours or do you rent from the ISP?

If you own the modem your ISP is not going to help much if at all.

What make and model modem? Do you have the User Guide/Manual?

For the most part if the modem worked before and the only change you made was the router (TDC to Asus) that suggests a configuration or connection issue with respect to the new router.

Does not rule out some change with respect to the modem per se - intended or not.

Check everything very carefully via the applicable User Guides and Manuals.

If they own the modem then you may need to keep working at it all and continue calling.

But do post the make and model modem.