Question Problem with post / reset cycle driving me mad

Feb 22, 2021
So, I bought a new computer - been using laptops only in work for last 7 years, so I splurged a bit.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB OC <- only Graphics Card I could find, right now...
Corsair RM750X V2 / 750W / 80+ Gold
Crucial MX500 2TB SATA
G.SKill Trident Z Neo RGB 32GB (2x16GB) / 3600MHz / DDR4 / CL16
Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
ASRock X570 PG Velocita

Chassi is Define S.

So. Apparently they add an extra power cable to something every time I build a PC, but after that little thing, everything was working fine.
I am using Ubuntu for work, so I installed 20.10 on the HDD, everything worked fine. Everything. No crashes, no problems.

But I also wanted to play some games. So I used my old 500GB SSD to install Windows 10. A legitimate copy of Win10, bought a key and everything. Fine.

Installed some games. Loaded up my old BF4, haven't played it on PC for many years. Everything worked perfect. Latest drivers, everything is nice.
All settings on Ultra, the fans didn't even accelerate, so great!

Then I took a break. I had realized I made one error - Win 10 had become the default boot option and to boot Ubuntu I had to press F11 for boot menu,
which worked, but was annoying. It didn't cross my mind to change the order in the UEFI settings in BIOS, but that's (probably) neither here nor there.

So I installed reFind Bootloader, which simply manages your different boots and is nice and has worked perfectly for me before.
And it did this time as well, simple install from inside Ubuntu and I could now go back to playing some more BF4. So I did.

I must have played between 12-18 hours in shifts of perhaps 2 hours at a time during this first running of the PC, everything was very nice.

Then the PC all of a sudden crashed. Just black screen, hard reset, inte middle of a game.

When it restarted it got stuck in a boot-repair-reboot loop. Over and over again.

I've been struggling with this for hours now. I need some angles, insights and tips on this.

Did I burn the CPU to a crips? They're supposed to have overheating protection and the computer starts and I have managed to enter a Windows repair console once -
then it did a reset again when I did bootrec /scanos - it did manage to do some other things before that, but they didn't give any indication of what might be wrong.

Things I've done: reassembled everything, checked every screw, every riser, every power cable, tried reseating the CPU two times.
Tested the computer with an oooold graphics card - same behavior.

Tried booting the windows install again, came to the partition selection thing, using a mechanical 2.5" 500 GB HDD I had lying around.
It crashed when I had selected the partition and pressed Next to move on to the next step.

Tried booting a live USB of Ubuntu. No dice, crashes.

Currently I have removed the CMOS battery (I have used the clear CMOS button 100 times during the last 8 hours, I have no idea why
this would make a difference, but some people claim it does, I certainly hope so).

So, right now, I am so bummed. Nothing works, not one single boot option works ( will set up a command-line only ubuntu as some kind of
last-ditch effort, but I don't get what could have happened to the GFX card to make it not work).

Any advice on where to being would be appreciated. I have <Mod Edit> Internet, so downloading all the games and stuff took a lot of time,
but who cares? I haven't lost any data or anything, since I was just getting started... but I want to use this beautiful machine,
not poke around in it like a madman.

//TomTom

Last edited by a moderator:

Ds_Tech

Great
Jan 25, 2021
What Bios version you have.
try install new bios.
or change psu if you have other psu try that.
In motherboard debug led is any error code showing you can check in manual.

D

Deleted member 2720853

boot-repair-reboot
To prevent this from happening in the future, open command prompt as admin and write bcdedit /set {current} recoveryenabled No
Had this issue as well.

There are problems with Ryzens and C-states which may cause hard reboots out of nowhere. Try disabling "Global C-State Control" in the BIOS and see if that fixes it.

When it crashed during the setup, did you get a BSOD or did it just hard reboot?

Feb 22, 2021
I updated the bios to latest version, 1.60, no dice.
I don't have a spare PSU that is good enough, I think - I will however check my old computer, it has a PSU but it is old as hell.

I will test disabling global c-state control in BIOS.

The crashes are always just hard resets. For a while I could get to some kind of state where if I for instance disconnected the main HDD and booted with my windows HDD (which of course doesn't have boot stuff on it) I at least got to a repair screen. Now it just cycles through reboots all the time, it's very frustrating.

I will give it some more good tries and fiddle a bit, then contact the shop.

And the debug codes, I mean, I checked the manual ... I'm going to film the LED now to see if I actually get an error or something.

Thanks for the tips.

Tested with only one memory module, nothing changed

D

Deleted member 2720853

I updated the bios to latest version, 1.60, no dice.
I don't have a spare PSU that is good enough, I think - I will however check my old computer, it has a PSU but it is old as hell.

I will test disabling global c-state control in BIOS.

The crashes are always just hard resets. For a while I could get to some kind of state where if I for instance disconnected the main HDD and booted with my windows HDD (which of course doesn't have boot stuff on it) I at least got to a repair screen. Now it just cycles through reboots all the time, it's very frustrating.

I will give it some more good tries and fiddle a bit, then contact the shop.

And the debug codes, I mean, I checked the manual ... I'm going to film the LED now to see if I actually get an error or something.

Thanks for the tips.

Tested with only one memory module, nothing changed
Hard resets, definitely sounds like the problems I was having with my 3900X when C-states were on. Though they were only happening at idle.

Feb 22, 2021
So, hello there, everyone. Status right now is: I have tried booting memtest - and it passed all green with both memory modules in.

Tried booting from USB with linuxstress to do some tests on the CPU - and it just resets as it is trying to boot.

So I wanted to order a cheap graphics card to test if it works and a cheap cpu - unfortunately the AMD Athlon 3000G is out of stock everywhere, so I had to order another Ryzen 7 - a 3800X, but it seems easier than to send away the computer for diagnostics elsewhere...

So, I'll be back in a few days, swearing. Or cheering.

Thanks for all the ideas and support, everyone.