Question Problem with QNAP 5gbps dongles

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Hi,

I am using these dongles : https://www.qnap.com/en/product/qna-uc5g1t
And this switch: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS308P.aspx

The very moment I connect those to my machines and start transferring files between them, internet/network drops. This happens on all 3 pcs on the network. So I assume 3 dongles broken cannot be possible. If they manage to write/read data they are half speed than 1gbps ethernet. I tested all pcs separately.

There is nothing wrong with my usb 3.1 /3.2 ports where dongles are connected. Without them my network works perfect (at 1gbps).

I think after exhausting all other options and 2 days testing, that there is a limitation in the switch or something. I am clueless about networks but I ve learned a few things these days as i am trying to debug everything. What do you think might be the issue?

Please any help/tip appreciated.
Many thanks!
T.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

I am using these dongles : https://www.qnap.com/en/product/qna-uc5g1t
And this switch: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS308P.aspx

The very moment I connect those to my machines and start transferring files between them, internet/network drops. This happens on all 3 pcs on the network. So I assume 3 dongles broken cannot be possible. If they manage to write/read data they are half speed than 1gbps ethernet. I tested all pcs separately.

There is nothing wrong with my usb 3.1 /3.2 ports where dongles are connected. Without them my network works perfect (at 1gbps).

I think after exhausting all other options and 2 days testing, that there is a limitation in the switch or something. I am clueless about networks but I ve learned a few things these days as i am trying to debug everything. What do you think might be the issue?

Please any help/tip appreciated.
Many thanks!
T.
Since you are using a 1GE switch, why are you using dongles rather than the built-in ethernet ports ?

It will not be the switch. Like most small switches it can run every port at 1gbit in and 1gbit out all at the same time. So that switch can pass 16gbit/sec even though there is no realistic case you can have all the ports running like that.

It almost has to be the dongle or some strangeness with USB. What is strange is that device is only usb 3.2 gen 1 which has a maximum speed of only 5gbit but a 5gbit ethernet port need 10gbit since it is full duplex. BUT that does not matter in your case because your switch only has gigabit ports.

It is made more complex because you are using it on a NAS which makes troubleshooting a bit harder. As mentioned above why not just use the ethernet ports in the devices.

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
First the dongles came in (couldnt find 10gb ones therefore the 5) and I installed them to see whats up. And to my surprise they are causing so many troubles. I have also oredered a 10gb switch which if you dont think that is the problem, I am gonna cancel it.

Again, all 4 dongles and all 4 machines broken, its not happening. There is no NAS involved its 4 machines connected via ethernet.

So what do you mean with this " which has a maximum speed of only 5gbit but a 5gbit ethernet port need 10gbit since it is full duplex."

kanewolf

Titan
First the dongles came in (couldnt find 10gb ones therefore the 5) and I installed them to see whats up. And to my surprise they are causing so many troubles. I have also oredered a 10gb switch which if you dont think that is the problem, I am gonna cancel it.

Again, all 4 dongles and all 4 machines broken, its not happening. There is no NAS involved its 4 machines connected via ethernet.

So what do you mean with this " which has a maximum speed of only 5gbit but a 5gbit ethernet port need 10gbit since it is full duplex."
My guess is you have something configured in your network settings incorrect. Please open a cmd.exe window and run ipconfig.exe /all and post the results.

Ethernet is full duplex it can transmit and receive at the same exact times. So it can be sending 5gbit and receiving 5gbit. I have not kept up on all the fancy USB stuff and they keep changing the names so I don't know which USB is full and half. You have to be careful though the total bandwidth.
This is similar to when you buy switches you must check the total fabric or backplane speed. Although almost every 1gbit switch can run all ports at full speed at the same time some of the ones with 5gb and 10gbit ports can not.

This is actually the simple part. Your disk file systems are going to have a large impact on the performance. Don't chase fancy big numbers unless you really have a good use for them. The 2.5g and 5g stuff is mainly sold into the home consumer market and it not real stable. If you really need to do this I would look at internal pcie 10gbit cards. That technology is much more mature.

I see my confusion the dongles are QNAP brand normally that is a company that makes NAS stuff.

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. I works with only usb 3.2 gen 1 specificall/exclusively.
You made me thinking when you said that! I was under the impression all the usb are backwards compatible and they might be actually. Its just this product does not work at all with other usb ports.

So bad on company's behalf that doesnt clarify the above thing. Cheers