problem with radeon 9700 pro after heatsink

Gdeath

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2003
I just installed a Zalman heatsink on my Radeon 9700 pro and now i get horrible artifacts in all of my games. I haven't done any overclocking to the videocard. Can anyone tell me what the problem is here?

Fallen

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Is the heatsink actually making contact with the GPU? The first run of Zalman passive cooler wasn't designed to touch the core of the card, so removing the GPU shim was necessary to make it work properly.......I think.

Gdeath

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2003
when i removed the old fan from the radeon there was dried thermal paste on the gpu. I tried removing it with alcohol but it wouldn't come off. i was afraid to scrape it off in fear of damaging the gpu so i just applied a new coat of thermal paste to the gpu. The heatsink itself should not be in direct contact with the gpu as long as you consider the thermal paste to be a barrier between the two.

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Get Avon skin-so-soft...no kidding, and it will come right off without damaging the GPU or RAM. Best damn thing to remove paste out there.

----------
<b>Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebrau? </b> <i>Homer Simpson</i>

TKS

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
when i removed the old fan from the radeon there was dried thermal paste on the gpu. I tried removing it with alcohol but it wouldn't come off. i was afraid to scrape it off in fear of damaging the gpu so i just applied a new coat of thermal paste to the gpu. The heatsink itself should not be in direct contact with the gpu as long as you consider the thermal paste to be a barrier between the two.

LOL. Oh dear. Leaving on the old thermal paste is a bad idea. Basically there would have been no thermal transfer between the core and the heatsink. I suspect you have messed up your card. No matter what you do now its probably foobar. Unless you'r lucky and the gpu didn't reach 90c. I suspect it did though, or even higher.

My system spec: Fast PC<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7000747" target="_new"> 3D-2001 </A>
"It's not the spoon that bends, it's only yourself."

cleeve

Illustrious
Listen to GW! If you remove the old thick thermal pad, and reapply the heatsink without taking off the protective shim, your heatsink isn't actually touching your CPU.

So it's overheating!

BTW, use orange solvent (the kind they use to remove gum from upholstery) to remove the old thermal tab. WOrks like a charm with absolutely no effort.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (hardmodded to PRO, o/c to 322/322)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (o/c to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
3dMark03: 4055