Problem with radeon r9 270x

gulli2020

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
I´m having some problems with my radeon r9 270x card. It works fine while i am doing some basic things on the computer but when i play just any game it crashes (black screen) and when i check the card it looks like it has no power anymore (all the fans get turned off)
so i was thinking i have 750w power supply can thatt be the problem do i need more??

Here are the specs for the card
Memory Size 4096 MB
Memory Clock 5600 MHz
Power requirement 500W(with two 6-pin external power connectors)
Core Clock Base / Boost clock:1050 / 1100 MHz

Solution
If you have a cheapo power supply even a 1000 watt cheapo power supply can be out performed by a 500w quality power supply. If you have a good name brand power supply a 750w would be overkill. Try under clocking your card a bit by about 10%-15% and then see if you have the same problem. What you could also do is something basic like run msi afterburner while you play a game to monitor your temps. If your temps look good try running some software to check your temps like truetemp. You can also check your memory with memtest86, and your storage drive with crystal disk info

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
If you have a cheapo power supply even a 1000 watt cheapo power supply can be out performed by a 500w quality power supply. If you have a good name brand power supply a 750w would be overkill. Try under clocking your card a bit by about 10%-15% and then see if you have the same problem. What you could also do is something basic like run msi afterburner while you play a game to monitor your temps. If your temps look good try running some software to check your temps like truetemp. You can also check your memory with memtest86, and your storage drive with crystal disk info

Solution

PhilGinge

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Are All drivers up to date etc? From the fact its crashing when the card is under load and and it loses all power (fans stop spinning?) would point me towards the PSU... Are you able to test the card in another machine? could be a fault with the card.

Which make of card is it? Do you have the Manufacturers software installed that provides the temps of the card etc? Whats your CPU temp like when it crashes?

Just wondering if your getting some sort of overheat and you have a safety setting in your Bios that shuts your PC down to stop it killing itself or something similar?