Problem with RAM that causes system to crash.

megalomonczar

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Hey everybody,

I built my first computer a couple days ago and it was running fine except the display would randomly shut off and then recover. During these random display shut offs, the system would sometimes crash. Although annoying, it would recover but be really laggy.

This led me to believe that I had a faulty GPU (EVGA Geforce GTX 660) from reading problems in other forums. I got a replacement card and put the new EVGA Geforce GTX 660 into my computer.

Now, when I turn the computer on, I get the blue screen and can't boot up windows, not even in safe mode.

I called EVGA and they were really helpful and led me to believe that I have a problem with the RAM.

The current RAM is Kingston HyperX KHX16C10B1BK2 and my MB is a Asrock x79 Extreme4. I looked at compatibility and noticed that they aren't compatible with each other.

If this is the case, how was my system working before I swapped out the exact same GPUs?

Sorry about the lengthy post, I just feel like I'm in over my head here.

TL;DR: My RAM (Kingston HyperX KHX16C10B1BK2) isn't compatible with my MB (Asrock x79 Extreme4) but was booting before I RMA'd for a new GPU (EVGA Geforce GTX 660). Now it won't boot at all.

megalomonczar

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

CPU: Intel i7 3820
Cooler: Cooler Master EVO 212
MB: Asrock x79 Extreme4
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 660
RAM: Kingston Hyper-X Black KHX16C10B1BK2/16
PSU: Corsair CX500
Storage: Kingston 120 SSD, Seagate 2TB 7200RPM

I don't think I'm forgetting anything.

megalomonczar

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Here's a link to the Kingston page that says what MB's it is compatible with. http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/hyperx/blu/black/

Also, I've contacted Asrock Tech Support and the guy I talked to said that the RAM is compatible, he just had me upgrade the BIOS and that was successful, but my system still crashes every time I try to boot windows 7

what does it show in the booklet for memory configuration?

did you try running machine after disconnecting the HD?

can you try another power supply. I don't like "CX" and I don't like low powered or "big enough" power supplies.

have you looked for firmware updates to your SSD?

Your RAM is rated for 1.5 to 1.65 volt operation . That is unusual . Normally RAM is rated for the voltage and the frequency/timings it will run at

That its on a compatibility list makes no difference . I dont think I have ever used RAM that was recommended by a mb maker . They dont test very many of the available modules and they probably get paid to test the ones they do

The bottom line is your RAM is compatible if you enter BIOS and set an XMP profile that runs it at 1.5 volts . It will probably be at a slower speed than the 1600 MHZ , and it may have higher timings .

If you do that and the PC wont run then the problem is not the RAM

Like I mentioned before use memtest86. usually its *F11 key at boot to enter Boot selection menu. select the proper drive to boot from and run the program. If it errors then it is definitely the ram causing the issue. If nit does not error then it is time to look somewhere else. the program is free and does not need windows to run.

megalomonczar

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

I'm running it as we speak, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for. The program seems to be running fine, it's only about 50% done though.

megalomonczar

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

I left Memtest86 going over night and it went through 17 passes with 0 errors. Does this mean there is another problem in my system other than the RAM? I'm kinda lost as to where to go next from here.

megalomonczar

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Do you think I should just return the RAM and buy something better?

have you tried to remove the video card and run the iGPU on the Intel chip to make sure there is no issue with the new video card? If all boots well with out the card then the card would be bad.

you can test your HDD by useing a different HDD in your system since you can't boot to windows.
you can test your CPU by trying either puting it in to a different mother board or trying a different CPU in your motherboard.
you can test your motherboard by trying a different CPU on it.
you can test your PSU buy either trying a different PSU on your system or trying your PSU on a different system.

the order you test will depend on what parts you have available to swap out.

megalomonczar

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I somehow got my computer to finally boot! I think what did it was I enabled S.M.A.R.T on my SDD and for some reason it started working.

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate all the advice and troubleshooting tips!