Problem with Remote Assistance

Hello,

I am a Domain Admin on our network, until recently I have been able to offer
remote assistance to all users on our network. When I attempt to offer remote
assistance I receive the message "Permission Denied" also if anyone tries to
offer me remote assistance they receive the same message. It is not an issue
with my Active Directory Domain Logon as I am able to offer remote assistance
from other machines. Remote assistance is enabled in System properties on the
PC in question, does anyone have any suggestions on things I could have
overlooked?

Many Thanks,

Colin

Hi Colin,

Permission Denied Error When You Are Using Offer Remote Assistance:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310629

You cannot offer remote assistance to a user whose computer is running
Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884910

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

<BDCIT@noemail.postalias> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am a Domain Admin on our network, until recently I have been able to
> offer
> remote assistance to all users on our network. When I attempt to offer
> remote
> assistance I receive the message "Permission Denied" also if anyone tries
> offer me remote assistance they receive the same message. It is not an
> issue
> with my Active Directory Domain Logon as I am able to offer remote
> assistance
> from other machines. Remote assistance is enabled in System properties on
> the
> PC in question, does anyone have any suggestions on things I could have
> overlooked?
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Colin

Hi,

I've read the information in the documents you listed, the PCs I am trying
to connect to are not SP2 PCs, at the moment the majority of our systems are
SP1, and I have checked the details in the other document, Simple File
Sharing is Disabled, and it does not seem to be a permissions issue, as if I
log on to any other machine, I am able to offer remote assistance as normal.

Do you have any other advice? Thank you for your initial response,

Colin

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Colin,
>
> Permission Denied Error When You Are Using Offer Remote Assistance:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310629
>
> You cannot offer remote assistance to a user whose computer is running
> Windows XP Service Pack 2:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884910
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> <BDCIT@noemail.postalias> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am a Domain Admin on our network, until recently I have been able to
> > offer
> > remote assistance to all users on our network. When I attempt to offer
> > remote
> > assistance I receive the message "Permission Denied" also if anyone tries
> > offer me remote assistance they receive the same message. It is not an
> > issue
> > with my Active Directory Domain Logon as I am able to offer remote
> > assistance
> > from other machines. Remote assistance is enabled in System properties on
> > the
> > PC in question, does anyone have any suggestions on things I could have
> > overlooked?
> >
> > Many Thanks,
> >
> > Colin

No idea, Colin. You may then try this question in the network_web and
work_remotely newsgroups.

--

> Hi,
>
> I've read the information in the documents you listed, the PCs I am trying
> to connect to are not SP2 PCs, at the moment the majority of our systems
> are
> SP1, and I have checked the details in the other document, Simple File
> Sharing is Disabled, and it does not seem to be a permissions issue, as if
> log on to any other machine, I am able to offer remote assistance as
> normal.
>
> Do you have any other advice? Thank you for your initial response,
>
> Colin
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Colin,
>>
>> Permission Denied Error When You Are Using Offer Remote Assistance:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310629
>>
>> You cannot offer remote assistance to a user whose computer is running
>> Windows XP Service Pack 2:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884910
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> <BDCIT@noemail.postalias> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am a Domain Admin on our network, until recently I have been able to
>> > offer
>> > remote assistance to all users on our network. When I attempt to offer
>> > remote
>> > assistance I receive the message "Permission Denied" also if anyone
>> > tries
>> > offer me remote assistance they receive the same message. It is not an
>> > issue
>> > with my Active Directory Domain Logon as I am able to offer remote
>> > assistance
>> > from other machines. Remote assistance is enabled in System properties
>> > on
>> > the
>> > PC in question, does anyone have any suggestions on things I could have
>> > overlooked?
>> >
>> > Many Thanks,
>> >
>> > Colin

Many Thanks,

I have done this,

Colin

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> No idea, Colin. You may then try this question in the network_web and
> work_remotely newsgroups.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> <BDCIT@noemail.postalias> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've read the information in the documents you listed, the PCs I am trying
> > to connect to are not SP2 PCs, at the moment the majority of our systems
> > are
> > SP1, and I have checked the details in the other document, Simple File
> > Sharing is Disabled, and it does not seem to be a permissions issue, as if
> > log on to any other machine, I am able to offer remote assistance as
> > normal.
> >
> > Do you have any other advice? Thank you for your initial response,
> >
> > Colin
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Colin,
> >>
> >> Permission Denied Error When You Are Using Offer Remote Assistance:
> >>
> >> You cannot offer remote assistance to a user whose computer is running
> >> Windows XP Service Pack 2:
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> <BDCIT@noemail.postalias> wrote in message

Hello Colin,

Good to hear from you.

According to the message, I understand that you cannot offer or receive
remote assistance in the problematic winXP SP1a computer. Is this correct?

I assume you have performed the following steps.
1. Verify That the Expert Is Part of the Helper's Group on the Novice's
Computer
2. Turn Off Simple File Sharing

Actually you are talking about two problems. Your computer cannot offer and
receive remote assistance. To clarify, let us name your computer A, and the
other computers in your domain as B and C. Please correct me if I am
misunderstanding.

1. A did offer remote assistance to B, C once.
2. A cannot offer remote assistance to B, C. The error is "Permission
Denied".
3. You log on B and B can offer remote assistance to C.
4. A cannot receive remote assistance from B. The error is "Permission
Denied".

Is your domain win2k domain or NT domain?

I suggest that we focus on the first problem that A cannot offer remote
assistance to B, C (known as novice computers) at this point.

Please perform the following tasks on the novice computers.

1. Turn off the firewall.
2. In the Run box, type "rsop.msc"
3. Expand Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Remote
Assistance
4. Make sure "Offer Remote Assistance" is enabled.
5. Check whether there are some warnings in Computer Configuration.
If there are warnings, you will find some mark beside Computer
Configuration. Then do the following steps to check.
5.1 Right click Computer Configuration and select properties.
5.2 In "Error Information" tab, find some clues about the warning.
6. If there are no warnings, please check the effect.

If the problem persists, please feel free to let us know!

Best regards,

Frances He

Microsoft Online Partner Support

You're welcome.

--

> Many Thanks,
>
> I have done this,
>
> Colin
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> No idea, Colin. You may then try this question in the network_web and
>> work_remotely newsgroups.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> <BDCIT@noemail.postalias> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've read the information in the documents you listed, the PCs I am
>> > trying
>> > to connect to are not SP2 PCs, at the moment the majority of our
>> > systems
>> > are
>> > SP1, and I have checked the details in the other document, Simple File
>> > Sharing is Disabled, and it does not seem to be a permissions issue, as
>> > if
>> > log on to any other machine, I am able to offer remote assistance as
>> > normal.
>> >
>> > Do you have any other advice? Thank you for your initial response,
>> >
>> > Colin

Hi Frances

Many thanks for your response. The PC I am using is a SP2 Machine, however
some of my colleagues are still using SP1. When I use other machines (Logged
on as myself, so it doesnt seem to be a permissions issue ie. not being in
the helpers group), both SP1 and SP2 I have no problems issuing remote
assistance offers (or receiving).

Your A, B, C analogy seems correct. I followed your instructions, however
when I get to the Offer Remote Assistance in rsop.msc I could not enable,
however on the Precedence Tab it is enabled in the Default Domain Policy and
Local Group policy. I have no warnings in the Computer Configuration
Properties. Oh and in answer to your question it is a Win2k Domain,

Thank you for any assistance you can offer,

Colin

"Frances [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello Colin,
>
> Good to hear from you.
>
> According to the message, I understand that you cannot offer or receive
> remote assistance in the problematic winXP SP1a computer. Is this correct?
>
> I assume you have performed the following steps.
> 1. Verify That the Expert Is Part of the Helper's Group on the Novice's
> Computer
> 2. Turn Off Simple File Sharing
>
> Actually you are talking about two problems. Your computer cannot offer and
> receive remote assistance. To clarify, let us name your computer A, and the
> other computers in your domain as B and C. Please correct me if I am
> misunderstanding.
>
> 1. A did offer remote assistance to B, C once.
> 2. A cannot offer remote assistance to B, C. The error is "Permission
> Denied".
> 3. You log on B and B can offer remote assistance to C.
> 4. A cannot receive remote assistance from B. The error is "Permission
> Denied".
>
> Is your domain win2k domain or NT domain?
>
> I suggest that we focus on the first problem that A cannot offer remote
> assistance to B, C (known as novice computers) at this point.
>
> Please perform the following tasks on the novice computers.
>
> 1. Turn off the firewall.
> 2. In the Run box, type "rsop.msc"
> 3. Expand Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Remote
> Assistance
> 4. Make sure "Offer Remote Assistance" is enabled.
> 5. Check whether there are some warnings in Computer Configuration.
> If there are warnings, you will find some mark beside Computer
> Configuration. Then do the following steps to check.
> 5.1 Right click Computer Configuration and select properties.
> 5.2 In "Error Information" tab, find some clues about the warning.
> 6. If there are no warnings, please check the effect.
>

> If the problem persists, please feel free to let us know!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Frances He
>

> Microsoft Online Partner Support

Hello Colin,

Thanks for the update.

So in rsop.msc, the status of the Offer Remote Assistance is "not
configured". Is this correct? Please take a screen shot as a .jpg file to
give me a clear understanding.

Also please download the MPSRPT SETUPPerf.exe and MPSRPT SETUPPerf
readme.txt from the link below. Then run MPSRPT SETUPPerf.exe on the Expert
machine after you offer the Remote Assistance and get the error. Send the
result to v-franhe@microsoft.com for further research.

Microsoft Product Support's Reporting Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=cebf3c7c-7ca5-408f-
88b7-f9c79b7306c0&DisplayLang=en

At this point, I suggest that we modify the related registry keys and check
the effect.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall Windows. Microsoft cannot guarantee that
problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved.
Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks), and then
click OK.

3. Navigate to the following registry subkey:

4. On the File menu, click Export.

5. In the "File name" box, type "WinlogonBackup" (without the quotation
marks), and then click Save.

Note: If there is a new problem after modifying the registry key, we are
able to restore the original settings by double clicking the
WinlogonBackup.reg file.

6. If there is a Value name: DontDisplayLastUserName with Data type: REG_SZ
and Value Data: 1, please change this value to 0

7. Exit the Registry Editor and restarting the computer to test if the
problem has been resolved.

Please tell me your test results at your earliest convenience. If the
problem persists, I will research on the information you gather and decide
what to do next. Please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Best regards,

Frances He

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Hello Colin,

Thanks for the information.

According to the attachment, I found the policy is set correctly. I also
notice the "Remote Assistance" error in the event log.

Based on my research, I have to say that it is best to perform a "System
Restore", since you can "offer remote assistance" until recently. I also
suggest that you add the registry key I mentioned in the last post and
check the effect.

To perform a "System Restore", please follow the steps below.

1. Log on to Windows as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators
group.

2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to
System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.

3. On the "Welcome to System Restore" page, click "Restore my computer to
an earlier time" (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.

4. On the "Select a Restore Point" page, click the most recent system
checkpoint in the "On this list, click a restore point" list, and then
click Next. A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration
changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.

5. On the "Confirm Restore Point Selection" page, click Next. System
Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts
the computer.

6. Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Restoration
Complete page appears.

7. Click OK.

For more information about system restore in Windows XP, please refer to
our KB article Q306084: HOW TO: Restore Windows XP to a Previous State
<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q306/0/84.asp>.

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Frances He

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Hello Colin,

We haven't heard from you. How is it going on the remote assistance issue?
Please feel free to respond to the newsgroups if you need additional help.

Have a great day!

Best regards,

Frances He

Microsoft Online Partner Support

I'm having similar problems. I'm Computer A. I can give Remote Assistance
to B and C when they request it. However, B cannot assist C, or vice versa.

And if I try the following from B:

> 1. Turn off the firewall.
> 2. In the Run box, type "rsop.msc"
> 3. Expand Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Remote
> Assistance
> 4. Make sure "Offer Remote Assistance" is enabled.

Administrative Templates does not display under Computer Configuration->

I'm sure this is a rights issue, but the user (B) and I both have
administrative privileges, and it doesn't display whether we're logged on as
either of us.

Please help!

Kevin

"Frances [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello Colin,
>
> Good to hear from you.
>
> According to the message, I understand that you cannot offer or receive
> remote assistance in the problematic winXP SP1a computer. Is this correct?
>
> I assume you have performed the following steps.
> 1. Verify That the Expert Is Part of the Helper's Group on the Novice's
> Computer
> 2. Turn Off Simple File Sharing
>
> Actually you are talking about two problems. Your computer cannot offer and
> receive remote assistance. To clarify, let us name your computer A, and the
> other computers in your domain as B and C. Please correct me if I am
> misunderstanding.
>
> 1. A did offer remote assistance to B, C once.
> 2. A cannot offer remote assistance to B, C. The error is "Permission
> Denied".
> 3. You log on B and B can offer remote assistance to C.
> 4. A cannot receive remote assistance from B. The error is "Permission
> Denied".
>
> Is your domain win2k domain or NT domain?
>
> I suggest that we focus on the first problem that A cannot offer remote
> assistance to B, C (known as novice computers) at this point.
>
> Please perform the following tasks on the novice computers.
>
> 1. Turn off the firewall.
> 2. In the Run box, type "rsop.msc"
> 3. Expand Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Remote
> Assistance
> 4. Make sure "Offer Remote Assistance" is enabled.
> 5. Check whether there are some warnings in Computer Configuration.
> If there are warnings, you will find some mark beside Computer
> Configuration. Then do the following steps to check.
> 5.1 Right click Computer Configuration and select properties.
> 5.2 In "Error Information" tab, find some clues about the warning.
> 6. If there are no warnings, please check the effect.
>

> If the problem persists, please feel free to let us know!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Frances He
>

> Microsoft Online Partner Support

Hello Kevin,

Good to hear from you.

I understand that you have "Remote Assistance" issue. However, we can see
that the issue is not the same.

To keep the thread clean, it would be best to open up a new post and
discuss your questions there. In that way, we can focus on your specific
issue and make more research.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Frances He

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Would you include previous posts in the thread in your posts. Outlook Express works well here rather than whatever it is you use.