Problem with router and walls

stefkourl

Reputable
Mar 23, 2018
Hello guys i wanna ask you about making choice to buy a new router currently i am using Cisco Linksys E1200 but i have a lot of corners and walls in my house and the signal is weak and drops when i go about 1 or 2 walls because i think that kind of routers is little bit sensitive .I know that buying new router wont help me deal with this or i think so but the sad thing is that i cant move my router out of the room to get better place and cant put extender because there is no place for ethernet cable in other rooms.And i cant deal with getting router when i know it wont get better signal but i don't have option for moving my router or putting extender...

Solution
There really is no magic router that will fix the problem of walls absorbing the signals. Think about your microwave which puts out over 1000 times more power. You can see though the glass but no signal can get out. It does not take a lot to block the signals.

Most routers put out close to the maximum legal power so there is not a huge difference. You would have to look yours up in the FCC database if you wanted to know for sure. The problem is the router is only 1/2 the problem. Much more likely is your end devices do not put out the maximum power so they will not be able to transport back through the walls.

Your best option is you can not run ethernet is to buy powerline units. The newer units based on av2 standard...

USAFRet

Titan

Of all the possible connection types, WiFI is a distant 4th on a list of 3 options.

Have you considered:
1. an ethernet cable. Color coordinated cable and creative wiring makes it invisible.
or
2. powerline devices.

stefkourl

Reputable
Mar 23, 2018
I want stronger wifi signal in all rooms but with that router the house is about 50 square meters and with two or three walls and signal is weak everywhere I don't think to put ehthernet cable so the only way is maybe repeater but it wants ethernet cable from the router which I can't ensure

There really is no magic router that will fix the problem of walls absorbing the signals. Think about your microwave which puts out over 1000 times more power. You can see though the glass but no signal can get out. It does not take a lot to block the signals.

Most routers put out close to the maximum legal power so there is not a huge difference. You would have to look yours up in the FCC database if you wanted to know for sure. The problem is the router is only 1/2 the problem. Much more likely is your end devices do not put out the maximum power so they will not be able to transport back through the walls.

Your best option is you can not run ethernet is to buy powerline units. The newer units based on av2 standard work well in most houses. If you need wifi at the far end they make units that has a AP built in or you could use a inexpensive router running as a AP plugged into the remote powerline.

50 sq meters if my math is correct is less than 600sq ft and most routers should easily cover that so it does appear that your walls eat the signals.

Solution

stefkourl

Reputable
Mar 23, 2018
Thank you for the answer i appreciate it.So the only way like i was thinking is Power line,Extender or Router to repeat the signal but for all of them i need a ethernet cable which is the problem.

USAFRet

Titan

With a powerline solution, you only need 2 short ethernet cables.
One from the router to the powerline device plugged into the wall.
One from the other powerline device, plugged into your PC.

The powerline devices pump the signal through the house wiring, instead of a dedicated ethernet cable direct from router to PC.

Is that a problem, and why?

stefkourl

Reputable
Mar 23, 2018
So i was in wrong i think i read more and find out that i can repeat the signal without cable the ethernet ports on the powerline and others were for connection to pc or device but i need only wireless signal.So i can put repeater where i have like wifi coverege but no so good and extend the wifi signal.Is that right?

USAFRet

Titan

I'm not quite sure of what you're actually saying here.

USAFRet

Titan

With powerline devices, you can dispense with WiFi completely.

Router->ethernet cable->powerline device->house wiring->powerline device->ethernet cable->PC
Does this make any sense to you?