[SOLVED] Problem with Ryzen 5 1400

Feb 2, 2022
Hello, I have a massive problem and I can't find an answer anywhere else so I decided to register to that forum and see if anyone would be able to help me.

Let me describe my issue.

I had a AMD Athlon 200GE on motherboard MSI A320-M-PRO with memory rams Corsair Venegance LPX 2x8GB 2666Mhz. Everything was working fine memory rams fully discoverable and operating on correct speeds, in PC properties it said that I have 16GB (15GB+ usable), XMP Profile were working correctly, basically everything good and smooth.

I purchased second hand Ryzen 5 1400 from eBay. On arrival and opening the cpu I noticed that 2-3 pins were slightly bent but I managed to straighten them and I inserted the cpu in the slot, applied paste etc. Booted the PC to Windows and then I realised that in PC properties it says 16GB (7.93 usable). Then I checked in the task manager and it said that 8GB is (hardware reserved).In the BIOS it says I got only 8GB operating on 2133Mhz.

I tried to read about it then I start doing things which I read about which could possibly fix my problem. I'm going to list of what I've done so far.

-BIOS update to latest beta version.
-adjusting settings for VRAM.
-installed chipset drivers.
-checked for updates (optional as well)
-swapped slots, tried one stick then another.
-tried gskill 4400Mhz 2x8GB rams as they worked on my Athlon before but downgraded to 2666Mhz automatically.
-reinstalled Windows
-took out CMOS battery.
-I'm running MemTest86 (it discovered only 8gb) and so far no errors but still not finished.

My question is. Does anyone know why is it happening? Is it my motherboard not "handling" CPU and rams somehow? Or is it CPU's fault? Or is it RAM not compatible for that cpu? According to research online it all should run fine.

I'm wondering now what should I do, should I buy new motherboard like b450 msi or gigabyte, or buy new cpu like ryzen 3 or buy new rams or maybe sell my whole pc and get myself a laptop or even better tablet 😱😂

Please good people, can you help me with my problem and direct me what to do or what to buy?

Thanks

Solution
Hello, I have a massive problem and I can't find an answer anywhere else so I decided to register to that forum and see if anyone would be able to help me.

I had a AMD Athlon 200GE on motherboard MSI A320-M-PRO with memory rams Corsair Venegance LPX 2x8GB 2666Mhz. Everything was working fine memory rams fully discoverable and operating on correct speeds, in PC properties it said that I have 16GB (15GB+ usable), XMP Profile were working correctly, basically everything good and smooth.

I purchased second hand Ryzen 5 1400 from eBay. On arrival and opening the cpu I noticed that 2-3 pins were slightly bent but I managed to straighten them and I inserted the cpu in the slot, applied paste etc. Booted the PC...

I purchased second hand Ryzen 5 1400 from eBay. On arrival and opening the cpu I noticed that 2-3 pins were slightly bent but I managed to straighten them and I inserted the cpu in the slot, applied paste etc. Booted the PC to Windows and then I realised that in PC properties it says 16GB (7.93 usable). Then I checked in the task manager and it said that 8GB is (hardware reserved).In the BIOS it says I got only 8GB operating on 2133Mhz.

I tried to read about it then I start doing things which I read about which could possibly fix my problem. I'm going to list of what I've done so far.

-BIOS update to latest beta version.
-adjusting settings for VRAM.
-installed chipset drivers.
-checked for updates (optional as well)
-swapped slots, tried one stick then another.
-tried gskill 4400Mhz 2x8GB rams as they worked on my Athlon before but downgraded to 2666Mhz automatically.
-reinstalled Windows
-took out CMOS battery.
-I'm running MemTest86 (it discovered only 8gb) and so far no errors but still not finished.

My question is. Does anyone know why is it happening? Is it my motherboard not "handling" CPU and rams somehow? Or is it CPU's fault? Or is it RAM not compatible for that cpu? According to research online it all should run fine.

I'm wondering now what should I do, should I buy new motherboard like b450 msi or gigabyte, or buy new cpu like ryzen 3 or buy new rams or maybe sell my whole pc and get myself a laptop or even better tablet 😱😂

Please good people, can you help me with my problem and direct me what to do or what to buy?

Thanks
this step by step in order, for better optimized performance (and avoid any issues after upgrade):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 8 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

and the chipset driver/software in control panel (if there is none just skip)

• restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios again (beta bios is fine). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, find AMD SVM and IOMMU options, enable them (if the option is only auto and disable, just leave it auto), set your XMP/Manual OC back then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest gpu driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
Could you also give Thaiphoon burner read of your ram? maybe i could help you on OC the ram with an appropriate timing for it.

Solution
Feb 2, 2022
this step by step in order, for better optimized performance (and avoid any issues after upgrade):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 8 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

and the chipset driver/software in control panel (if there is none just skip)

• restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios again (beta bios is fine). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, find AMD SVM and IOMMU options, enable them (if the option is only auto and disable, just leave it auto), set your XMP/Manual OC back then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest gpu driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
Could you also give Thaiphoon burner read of your ram? maybe i could help you on OC the ram with an appropriate timing for it.

I did all steps from beggining and still nothing changed. Bios sees only 8 gb operating on 2133 and i cant set xmp profiles because after i save changes it restarts then switches off then again and again and then it boots to windows without xmp profile set. Windows resource protection didnnot find any integrity violations

My gpu is gtx 1050ti so it isnt connected to psu.

I did all steps from beggining and still nothing changed. Bios sees only 8 gb operating on 2133 and i cant set xmp profiles because after i save changes it restarts then switches off then again and again and then it boots to windows without xmp profile set. Windows resource protection didnnot find any integrity violations

My gpu is gtx 1050ti so it isnt connected to psu.
if you tried that on another motherboard and 16 gigs is shown, then it is time to go b450/m XD. I prefer MSi for it, like B450M Mortar Max or B450 Tomahawk Max. Basically any B450 is fine, just plug it in, update the bios to the latest, and you should be good to go.

Feb 2, 2022
if you tried that on another motherboard and 16 gigs is shown, then it is time to go b450/m XD. I prefer MSi for it, like B450M Mortar Max or B450 Tomahawk Max. Basically any B450 is fine, just plug it in, update the bios to the latest, and you should be good to go.

So it might be problem with the motherboard not being able to handle the cpu and rams?