[SOLVED] Problem with screen flicker

Jan 15, 2020
Having issues with my PC where in games the screens seems to be flicking at random points. i did record this problem as it was quite apparent in Escape From Tarkov.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diq9C0cyLcg&feature=youtu.be

This doesnt happen what so ever on the desktop but once i hop in a game (csgo, overwatch, fallen order, hearthstone, outerworlds, etc) it seems to just begin happening. So far i have swapped cables, used DDU to reinstall Radeon Drivers, played in borderless and disabling Free-Sync. Hope this is enough information. don't usually put things on forums but this has really been frustrating me over the past week and that this maybe a last resort.

SPECS:
Monitor:VX2758-C MH
144hz Freesync (running 120hz)
Connected via HDMI

PC
B450 Pro-VDH Max
2x4gb 2666mhz DDR4
R9 290 4gb
R5 3600 @ 3.6Ghz
650w Power Supply

Solution
Having issues with my PC where in games the screens seems to be flicking at random points. i did record this problem as it was quite apparent in Escape From Tarkov.

This doesnt happen what so ever on the desktop but once i hop in a game (csgo, overwatch, fallen order, hearthstone, outerworlds, etc) it seems to just begin happening. So far i have swapped cables, used DDU to reinstall Radeon Drivers, played in borderless and disabling Free-Sync. Hope this is enough information. don't usually put things on forums but this has really been frustrating me over the past week and that this maybe a last resort.

SPECS:
Monitor:VX2758-C...

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

SPECS:
Connected via HDMI

PC
B450 Pro-VDH Max
2x4gb 2666mhz DDR4
R9 290 4gb
R5 3600 @ 3.6Ghz
650w Power Supply

Disable any sync / enhancements first. Let me see what it does.

Reactions: Calebmeister
Solution
Jan 15, 2020
Make sure you have the HDMI 2.0 cable and not a 1.7 .
Are you at 4k
The gpu is beginnning to age a bit so although it has a HDMI its 1.4 so even though i do have a 144hz 1080p monitor im capped to 1080p 120hz. even so ive tried two cables one of which was a cable capable of 2.0 output 😑

Jan 15, 2020
Try connecting the monitor by either VGA to DVI or DVI to HDMI.

Also are you overclocking the GPU?
have neither of those cables currently so im unable to test that out.
as for overclocking yeah i do have some pretty mild overclocks done via MSI Afterburner but ever since this problem became a thing i disabled those overclock settings and have been running stock ever since.

Jan 15, 2020
Disable any sync / enhancements first. Let me see what it does.
I was quite reluctant to disable freesync for a second time. but after disabling it and playing both Escape From Tarkov and Hearhstone i haven't seen one flicker! maybe it had something to do with me disabling it before launching where as last time i had done it while the game was running ;)
Thanks so much for the help people though i might leave the thread up for just a tad bit longer to maybe figure out why free-sync is causing these issues.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I was quite reluctant to disable freesync for a second time. but after disabling it and playing both Escape From Tarkov and Hearhstone i haven't seen one flicker! maybe it had something to do with me disabling it before launching where as last time i had done it while the game was running ;)
Thanks so much for the help people though i might leave the thread up for just a tad bit longer to maybe figure out why free-sync is causing these issues.
Good to hear some improvement. :) Keep me posted.

There's another thread out here I forgot where is it but it's pointing out that it is not yet fully implemented or concrete feature yet (if I understood it correctly). Can't really make any opinion about that since I haven't yet tried any of it but it seems many experience problem when it comes to enabling the feature.

EDIT: Now I remember. Like what @Zizo007 says, it's somewhat sourcing from compatibility issue.

Last edited:
There is issues with certain monitors when enabling freesync, its not 100% perfect.

Jan 15, 2020
Sweet as, honestly as cool as free-sync can be it feels more like a novelty than a must have. i can differently live without it. thanks again to all that helped!😃

got a dumb question to ask, is there a way i can finish the thread or similar?

Mar 9, 2020

SPECS:
Connected via HDMI

PC
B450 Pro-VDH Max
2x4gb 2666mhz DDR4
R9 290 4gb
R5 3600 @ 3.6Ghz
650w Power Supply

For those having this issue - it was related to the motion blur on the monitor itself for me. I had to turn that off to stop the flickering.