[SOLVED] Problem with some games after GPU Upgrade

Wirmaple73

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
Hi guys, I recently Upgraded my GT710 GPU to a GTX 550 Ti.
before GPU Upgrade, I had no Problems. while after Upgrading to GTX 550 Ti, in some Games I have Problems. Like Mafia 2 and Half-life 2. Whenever I play them, they crash less than 5 minutes. Screen Turns off, GPU Fans Spin Faster. I only have to Shut down the PC manually to get rid of the Problem.
But everything works fine for GTAV, CSGO, etc...

My old GT 710 GPU didn't have any problems. I also Reinstalled Latest Drivers from NVIDIA Official site 4-5 Times. Even GPU and CPU Temps are below 75c. So what's wrong? What can I do guys?

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i3-2120
MB: Gigabyte H61M-S2PV (REV 2.2)
RAM: 4GB DDR3-1333 (2x2GB)
GPU: Colorful iGame GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5
HDD: Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 (500GB)
PSU: AcBel 400 WATT
Gaming Resolution: 1360x768

UPDATE

I turned down GPU Clock and Memory Clock by 200 MHz in MSI Afterburner. This Completely Fixed the Problem at cost of some FPS, So does this Means the PSU can't handle my GTX 550 Ti, Right?

Last edited:
Solution
You forgot something important to know in your specs. Your PSU.

The GT 710 TDP is 19 Watts.

GTX 550 Ti TDP is 116 Watts.

If you have a low quality PSU it might have been a 100 Watts too much over your GT 710.

Wirmaple73

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
You forgot something important to know in your specs. Your PSU.

The GT 710 TDP is 19 Watts.

GTX 550 Ti TDP is 116 Watts.

If you have a low quality PSU it might have been a 100 Watts too much over your GT 710.
Hello, idk exactly, it's a 400 WATT AcBel (Which has 6-pin) from somewhere around the world
Here's its picture
power.jpg

Wirmaple73

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
That's a very bad PSU but still should work.

No native UEFI BIOS support on the 550ti.
  1. What does that means? (Native UEFI Bios)
  2. I'm planning to Upgrade to GTX 750 Ti later (Which has half the TDP of GTX550 Ti, 60 WATTS) Will that fix it?
  3. (Also, I mentioned that games like GTAV, csgo doesn't have any problems but mafia 2 and half-life 2 do, why?)

UEFI is the kind of BIOS your motherboard is using. If your GPU does not have UEFI support but only legacy BIOS support it won't work. The 550TI is pretty old and I think that only the 600-700 series started having UEFI support.

Some company released BIOS update for their GPU but not all of them.

Wirmaple73

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
UEFI is the kind of BIOS your motherboard is using. If your GPU does not have UEFI support but only legacy BIOS support it won't work. The 550TI is pretty old and I think that only the 600-700 series started having UEFI support.

Some company released BIOS update for their GPU but not all of them.
Please answer my 2 questions below
  1. So I should Change the GPU to a lower tdp one and newer one, right? (I'm planning for a GTX 750 Ti)
  2. BTW Minecraft, GTA V, CSGO doesn't have any problems, they don't crash but Half-life 2 and Mafia 2 does, why?

Minecraft will never work your GPU hard, ever. Even integrated graphics don't struggle with minecraft. That game is single threaded and the CPU is usually always the limit.

The same can be said for CS-GO. It's a very old game and CPU limited.

GTA-V might also be CPU bottlenecked by an i3 processor.

Also, you only have 4GB of ram, what's your ram usage during gaming? If you upgraded graphics cards, you might have also increased graphic detail settings, which would increase ram usage.

You should use a program like MSI afterburner to display gpu usage percentage ,gpu temp and wattage on your screen. If the problems occur only during high usage, it's most likely a thermal(bad fan) or power supply problem. 400watts is really pushing it too close for comfort for your system and if it's a super cheap power supply, it may be over-advertised and not capable of an actual 400watts.

Last edited:

Wirmaple73

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
Hi guys, I recently upgraded my old PSU (Which even didn't has a 6-pin cable!) to a AcBel 400 WATT PSU (Which has a 6-pin and 8-pin cables) Mainly for GPU Upgrade.

Question 1 - My question is, that is that PSU a Reliable PSU and is it OK?

Question 2 - Some games like GTAV, CSGO and Minecraft runs OK after upgrade, While after upgrade, some games like Mafia 2 and Half-life 2 (They are less demanding) give me black screen after 5-10 mins + Faster GPU Fan Speeds. is that because of this PSU?

PSU Model AcBel 400WATT. Here's is picture

PSU Picture
power.jpg

Please answer my 2 questions below
  1. So I should Change the GPU to a lower tdp one and newer one, right? (I'm planning for a GTX 750 Ti)
  2. BTW Minecraft, GTA V, CSGO doesn't have any problems, they don't crash but Half-life 2 and Mafia 2 does, why?
1. Get a new PSU.
Your current one has 276W on 12V rail. Total garbage.
GTX 550ti requires 350W PSU.

Minimum recommended PSU for GTX 750 ti is 300W.

2. Different games depending on settings used put different load on gpu.

Wirmaple73

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
UPDATE
I turned down GPU Clock and Memory Clock by 200 MHz in MSI Afterburner. This Completely Fixed the Problem at cost of some FPS, So does this Means the PSU can't handle my GTX 550 Ti, Right?

What about CoolerMaster Elite 400 or 450 WATT? I'll upgrade to GTX 750 Ti (which uses 60 watts only) I think that's a good idea.

Cooler Master Elite SeriesNon-Rated, White300, 350, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600 Watts
Tier 6 PSU. Garbage too :)
https://www.gamingscan.com/psu-hierarchy/

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/
Tier E - Potentially dangerous in multiple scenarios

Look at the list I gave you and anything in Tier 1 to 2-3 and Tier S, A, B in the other list is fine. Anything below that is starting to be garbage tier.

Reactions: oldcracc

Wirmaple73

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
Cooler Master Elite SeriesNon-Rated, White300, 350, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600 Watts
Tier 6 PSU. Garbage too :)
https://www.gamingscan.com/psu-hierarchy/

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/
Tier E - Potentially dangerous in multiple scenarios

Look at the list I gave you and anything in Tier 1 to 2-3 and Tier S, A, B in the other list is fine. Anything below that is starting to be garbage tier.
But that Cooler Master Elite PSU is better than my Garbage Acbel PSU, right?
(BTW I do light gaming, I use my pc less than 4 hours.)
So can the CoolerMaster Elite PSU last at least 3-4 years?
Also I found a Cheaper CoolerMaster PSU. it's a B500/B600/Cooler Master Master watt Lite. Should I get the Coolermaster MasterWatt Lite or B600 instead of Elite one? (CM Lite is in Tier 4 which is better than Tier 6)

Last edited:

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
But that Cooler Master Elite PSU is better than my Garbage Acbel PSU, right?
(BTW I do light gaming, I use my pc less than 4 hours.)
So can the CoolerMaster Elite PSU last at least 3-4 years?
Also I found a Cheaper CoolerMaster PSU. it's a B500/B600/Cooler Master Master watt Lite. Should I get the Coolermaster MasterWatt Lite or B600 instead of Elite one? (CM Lite is in Tier 4 which is better than Tier 6)
I mean, it might last, but you're better off just getting a good unit you don't have to worry about. If you purchase a crappy unit for cheap, you'll end up spending more money in the long run, I learned that the hard way.

TRENDING THREADS