Problem with SSD and HDD storage

drhaire

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
I know this is discussed a lot on here, and I have been looking but I cannot seem to find what I am looking for and if by some chance I have stumbled across I simply do not understand what it means.

To start things off here is what I have and the intent behind why I build it this way. I have built my computer with both a SSD and a HDD. The SSD is meant to hold my OS and other main/core applications, while the HDD is meant to hold games, steam and apps like it, emulators, music, movies, all the other random stuff you typically install after first setting up your computer.

However, as I have been installing everything with the custom installation and placing them under my E: drive which is my HDD, my storage in my SSD has dwindled down. I have a 120gb Kingston SSD Now that currently has 68gb of storage left and I am no where near done installing software onto my PC (my hdd is a 1TB and I have 5 open bays for additional should I need in future).

The question I would like answered now that i have summed up my issue and explained my system is this:
How in the world do I stop my SSD from losing storage at a relatively fast rate whenever I download or install more software that is addressed to my HDD and not my SSD using custom install.

Feel free to ask any questions about formatting or give advice on anything as long as it wont crash my PC permanently (I don't believe anyone on here would do it) but know that I have not done anything fancy other then hook my SSD and HDD up and format them in their own separate drives.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help,
Doc

Solution
As I understand it, while the main program files can be installed in custom directories (incl. secondary and/or external HDD), there are still temporary files and cache files which will be automatically installed on the main system drive (%appdata% folder). While majority of those files are quite small, they can accumulate in size, based on the number of software you've installed.

There's no straight and easy way to get around this, that I know of, especially given the fact that your problem revolves around select programs (i.e. some of your software is on system drive, and another portion on the secondary).

That said, Microsoft does have an intermediate tutorial on how to change system settings for the location of temporary folder...

gorskiegangsta

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
As I understand it, while the main program files can be installed in custom directories (incl. secondary and/or external HDD), there are still temporary files and cache files which will be automatically installed on the main system drive (%appdata% folder). While majority of those files are quite small, they can accumulate in size, based on the number of software you've installed.

There's no straight and easy way to get around this, that I know of, especially given the fact that your problem revolves around select programs (i.e. some of your software is on system drive, and another portion on the secondary).

That said, Microsoft does have an intermediate tutorial on how to change system settings for the location of temporary folder under Windows 7 (not sure it works for 8) here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/change-location-of-temp-files-folder-to-another/19f13330-dde1-404c-aa27-a76c0b450818

I have not tried this myself though, so I cannot speak to its effectiveness, or whether it'll degrade system/software performance.

Solution

drhaire

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Thank you for your reply and I may just stick to how it is and once I hit my limit I hit my limit until I an afford bigger ssd.

I will also check out that link and maybe in a few days if I get it to work I'll post with my opinions on it and it's change to computer performance good bad or the same.