Problem with the hard drive

seralin

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I just bought a Hitachi 1tb drive to use as an external drive. After putting the drive inside the enclosure, I wanted to copy some files to it. It starts okay, but, after a few seconds, it starts to slow down, and it takes minutes to finish the copying (that is just a 200mb file, should finish in a fe seconds at most). I tried two different model enclosures same result.

Anyone knows if this is a sign the hard drive is faulty. And, one observation, when I turn the drive from vertical to horizontal position, something moves inside the drive (with a click kind of noise). I know the older drives used to make such noise (though at lower dbs), but I want to know whether something is actually broken inside.

Thanks in advance...

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If this is a USB enclosure, then try putting the drive inside the machine on a SATA port and see how it performs. Maybe run the Hitachi diagnostics on it.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Usually when a hdd is powered off the w/w heads are located at what is called the ce cylinder [customer engineered] or something like that ,if you swing the hdd back and forth near your ear and it clicks,you should most certainly stress test it ASAP,better to have it go south/replace now than later when it is full of stuff ..:)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
What a 7200.11? I'd rather have it work then send it back for warranty with all my data on it.

Who the he!! sends their drive back with all their data for the lousy warranty anyway.

Yeah, I know it's all secure, just like keeping your most sensitive data on the web server backup.

I don't warranty drives I just eat it. Sort of like sending a mobo back... Frisbee?

Hey bob how you doing? I guess I am high strung right now.