[SOLVED] Problem with the USB pins on ASUS prime X570-P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2020
I have a motherboard ASUS prime x570-p inside a Cougar MX330-G. The motherboad has two USB2 sockets. One called USB910 and another one called USB11. Both sockets are of type USB2, they have 9 pins each. My Cougar case has two usb ports which are connected to one single cable. I also have tp-link archer t5e wifi/bluetooth card. Here is the problem.
  • If I connect the wifi/bluetooth card on USB11 socket, then the bluetooth device is not detected by the computer, only the wifi works. If I connect the bluetooth card on USB910, then everything works perfectly. So, I leave it there.
  • If I connect the usb cable from the card to the USB11 socket, then only one usb port on the case works, the other port doesn't work. If I connect the usb cable from the card to the USB910, then both ports on the case works.
So, I conclude that my wifi/bluetooth card and the usb ports on the case are working fine.
If I say the USB11 socket is not working, then why one usb port on the case is working? That socket must have problem for sure since wifi/bluetooth card worn't work on it.
So, my question is why only one usb port on the case works with the USB11 socket?

Sorry for long question.

Jul 19, 2020
I have the same mobo and went through the headache of asking Fractal Designs for a new front USB module as I thought it was defective.

Turns out the second USB2 header only supports one port! In the documentation it doesnt state any limitations in the text, but the pin descriptions show a whole row of NC for header USB11. Frustrating and not obvious at all! (I think the header naming hints at this, with the first header called 910 (i.e port 9 AND port 10) and the second header called 11 (i.e port 11)).

Check out page 28 of the manual for this model: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X570-P/E15650_PRIME_X570-P_UM_WEB_V2.pdf

Reactions: Tovo
Jun 11, 2020
I have the same mobo and went through the headache of asking Fractal Designs for a new front USB module as I thought it was defective.

Turns out the second USB2 header only supports one port! In the documentation it doesnt state any limitations in the text, but the pin descriptions show a whole row of NC for header USB11. Frustrating and not obvious at all! (I think the header naming hints at this, with the first header called 910 (i.e port 9 AND port 10) and the second header called 11 (i.e port 11)).

Check out page 28 of the manual for this model: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X570-P/E15650_PRIME_X570-P_UM_WEB_V2.pdf
Thank you for your answer. Did you get a new mobo from Fractal Designs or they told you about the usb port? That is not a good news. Do you know what does NC mean? Also, I am still not sure why the bluetooth on my Wifi/Bluetooth card doesnt work on this pin. Only the Wifi will work. Windows will not even detect any bluetooth port. The card is here.

Jun 11, 2020
After reading the answer of @raydar1600 , it appears that on the asus mobo, usb910 has 2 ports and usb11 has only one port which corresponds to the pins on the top rows. So, I decided to connect the front pannel usb to usb910 and both ports are now working at the front pannel. When I looked at the usb connector of my wifi/bluetooth card, it appears that it has only 4 wires and the 4 wires are connected to the bottom row pins. This is why the bluetooth was not working on usb11. All I did was move those wires to the top row pins and now everything is working perfectly fine.
I am wondering why asus made the connector usb11 working with only one port but still kept all the four useless pins at the bottom making it look like it has 2 ports!

Sep 10, 2020
After reading the answer of @raydar1600 , it appears that on the asus mobo, usb910 has 2 ports and usb11 has only one port which corresponds to the pins on the top rows. So, I decided to connect the front pannel usb to usb910 and both ports are now working at the front pannel. When I looked at the usb connector of my wifi/bluetooth card, it appears that it has only 4 wires and the 4 wires are connected to the bottom row pins. This is why the bluetooth was not working on usb11. All I did was move those wires to the top row pins and now everything is working perfectly fine.
I am wondering why asus made the connector usb11 working with only one port but still kept all the four useless pins at the bottom making it look like it has 2 ports!
How did you move the cables? I don't want to break the usb header. Thank you.

Reactions: Pharmacisticus
Jun 11, 2020
How did you move the cables? I don't want to break the usb header. Thank you.
My wifi/bluetooth adapter has a cable wich connects to the usb11 on the mobo, the colored wires are connected to the bottom row of the black plastic part of the connectors. All you need to do is to move each wires to the top row of the black plastic so that they will be connected to the top rows of the usb11 on the mobo. To move the wires, I used a small screwdriver to unblock the wires when moving them. A bit tricky but just have a carefull look at how the wires are kept in place in the black plastic.

Reactions: Pharmacisticus
Jan 26, 2021
My thanks for the solutions, mine was about to go back butmoving the wires has solved it!

To make this more confusing, the card came free from Asus with their own motherboard, so slightly baffling why this doesn't work out of box, but it's a simple fix when you know how!

As an extra tip, the wires are easily removed by lifting the small metal strips on the top which hold the cables in place, then sliding them out (repeating the process to seal them back in when you move them).

Cheers everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS