Problem with TMPGEnc DVD Author settings

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I've made some captures with my Hauppauge PVR-350 using the DVD Long
Play mode. 6.2Mbits/sec MPEG2. I put them on a DVD data disk and my
player with play that file and it looks nearly flawless, but I want to
put it in a proper DVD file structure so it will work on any player.
After running it through DVD author the resulting video is lower quality
than the original, there's "jaggies" on the endges of objects and there
seems to be more artifacts. Now since this was a DVD compliant file to
begin with, and only 4GB in size, can anyone tell me why TMPEGEnc has
mangled it and if there is a way to prevent that?
--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.

"Chris Phillipo" <Xcphillipo@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I've made some captures with my Hauppauge PVR-350 using the DVD Long
> Play mode. 6.2Mbits/sec MPEG2. I put them on a DVD data disk and my
> player with play that file and it looks nearly flawless, but I want to
> put it in a proper DVD file structure so it will work on any player.
> After running it through DVD author the resulting video is lower quality
> than the original, there's "jaggies" on the endges of objects and there
> seems to be more artifacts. Now since this was a DVD compliant file to
> begin with, and only 4GB in size, can anyone tell me why TMPEGEnc has
> mangled it and if there is a way to prevent that?
> --
> ____________________
> Remove "X" from email address to reply.

While I am a proponent of such captures (HW realtime MPEG2
at ~6Mbps VBR {half D1 also}) and of The TMPGEnc DVD Author;
it may be that the files produced by your PVR-350 contain a parameter
that the DVD author mishandles. As it happens the DVD author works
great with the output of my hardware card, what said it's no guarantee
that it well with all others.

Your post doesn't mention whether there was a re-encode taking
place (like a change in the audio) or if it took longer than ~15min to
output the VIDEO_TS folder.

If I recall the chips used in that card correctly, what it produces
should work fine. In any case the folks at http://www.pegasys-inc.com
should be interested in insuring that their product works with such a
widely available card. You should describe your problem to them,
as well as here. The same may be true for Hauppauge, they may
want to have their product work with such a highly regarded program.
It is hoped that one or both of them have addressed the problem and
can supply you with a fix.

It might be as simple as a small adjustment in the GOP structure.

Luck;
Ken

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Exactly the problems I keep getting, as described in the thread

Problems With TMPGEnc DVD Author Trial Version

Do a Google on that for back-issues!

"Chris Phillipo" <Xcphillipo@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> After running it through DVD author the resulting video is lower quality
> than the original, there's "jaggies" on the endges of objects and there
> seems to be more artifacts.

---

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

> that the DVD author mishandles. As it happens the DVD author works
> great with the output of my hardware card, what said it's no guarantee
> that it well with all others.
>
> Your post doesn't mention whether there was a re-encode taking
> place (like a change in the audio) or if it took longer than ~15min to
> output the VIDEO_TS folder.
>
> If I recall the chips used in that card correctly, what it produces
> should work fine. In any case the folks at http://www.pegasys-inc.com
> should be interested in insuring that their product works with such a
> widely available card. You should describe your problem to them,
> as well as here. The same may be true for Hauppauge, they may
> want to have their product work with such a highly regarded program.
> It is hoped that one or both of them have addressed the problem and
> can supply you with a fix.
>
> It might be as simple as a small adjustment in the GOP structure.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

It does not take longer than 15 minutes, and I'm not too sure what is
going on but it might possibly have something to do with what Womble
MPEG-VCR does to the clip when I edit it, I just remembered that in all
my experiments I was using an edited clip. I don't really need the
features of the TMPGEnc software for creating one movie DVDs with simple
menus anyway so I have gone back to using the bundled Ulead Moviestudio
software which works fine with the same source file.

--
http://www.ramsays-online.com