[SOLVED] Problem with transferring Manjaro from desktop to laptop

newbjumper

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
Hello,

So I want to transfer Manjaro from my desktop SSD to my laptop HDD. I found out about GParted, and I think I successsfully cloned my partition to my laptop HDD. But, when I put my HDD back into my laptop, it doesn't boot. There are no errors, just a blinking underscore. What did I do wrong?

Solution
Cloning an OS is generally only useful if you're going to use the cloned copy in the same computer with the same hardware, as it won't boot on a different hardware.

You need to install Manjaro on your laptop the same way I assume you installed it on your desktop PC (ie using installation media).

And since Manjaro is freely available to all, it makes no sense to clone it for another PC anyway.
Cloning an OS is generally only useful if you're going to use the cloned copy in the same computer with the same hardware, as it won't boot on a different hardware.

You need to install Manjaro on your laptop the same way I assume you installed it on your desktop PC (ie using installation media).

And since Manjaro is freely available to all, it makes no sense to clone it for another PC anyway.

Solution