Question Problem with "Unidentified Network" error ?

Mar 25, 2021
Hello all
I have a strange network issue. I have a BSNL Fibre network with speed of 100 Mbps. It has a modem from syRotech with 2 ports. both are occupied with 2 extension cat 4 cables with switches, one is Netgear with 8 ports and another one is TP Link with 8 ports. Both network are just doing great till now. my problem is i wanted to use another switch which is Dlink with 5 ports which i want to connect my pc & copier at a time with a extension from TP Link switch but whenever i connect my pc with the same my pc just shows error with "unidentified network".

In details when check it shows that my connection doesn't have valid ip address. But when i connect my pc directly from TP Link switch(without connecting it to Dlink switch) it connects without any errors. I have switched it with the working one but still same result is showing.

I've googled all possibilities and tried all of them but still got no luck.......... can you guys please shed a light for me....... (BTW 2 switches other ports which are connected to different pc and hardware's are just working fine so there is no issue with the switches even the new one which i tried)
Thank you in advance😇😇
EDIT : THERE IS ANOTHER ONE SWITCH DIGISOL WITH 8 PORTS WHICH IS ACCTUALLY CONNECTED DIRECTLY THROUGH MODEM NOT THE NETGEAR SWITCH ......SORRY FOR THE MISINFORMATION..........

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021
Is this second switch you are using an actual switch or a router? Does it maybe use an uplink port? Have you tried moving them around so the Dlink is first? Have you tried different ports? Are any of them smart switches?
  1. No third one using as simple switch
  2. Don't know about this
  3. Yes tried
  4. Yes
  5. No

Mar 25, 2021
Seriously need the network map if we are going to help you...that last bit of into just confused the heck out of me and I have 4 isp connections and 3 physical sites I manage with over 100 items on my networks...give a map, get a solution...
Added the link please go through it and really thank for your reply 😇 😇

Mar 25, 2021
Got it. Try swapping the tp-link and d-link and post what happens.
Swapped both switches.....
  1. The main connection was with digisol switch to TP link switch earlier before swapping switches
  2. When switched both, the unknown network error gone with a clear pc sign ( no yellow triangle)
  3. But I got very limited network like it's only loading in half (Ex : When I opened YouTube it's loaded with try to refresh error)
  4. After this I changed the connection from digisol switch to directly modem
  5. Now the same error is showing 😔

MrSam_Derp_Man

Commendable
May 31, 2019
This device may not support the feature to talk to other network devices like a lot of them do.
You can resolve this issue by terminating a Crossover-cable
This way you manipulate the way the cable normally operates. you want to use this between network devices to get them working.

Reactions: Jesudas
Mar 25, 2021
This device may not support the feature to talk to other network devices like a lot of them do.
You can resolve this issue by terminating a Crossover-cable
This way you manipulate the way the cable normally operates. you want to use this between network devices to get them working.
Thank you for your reply ...
  1. Have you seen my map?
  2. Can I have to connect the crossover cable from TP link switch or D link switch?
  3. Do you want me to change the patch cable to crossover cable
  4. Will I be able to make things working by connecting straight cable upto my D link switch and then connecting my pc with crossover one

I have not followed this tread but there is no longer a need for cross over cables. If the ports are gigabit it transmits and receives on all 4 pair so the concept of crossover does not really exist. Also now most 10/100 ports also support mdi.mdix so you can use straight cables on those also.

It has been close to 10yrs since equipment needed cross over cables so I hope you do not have stuff that old. Just use all straight cables. The ports on the switches will light up when they are connected.

Reactions: SamirD and Jesudas

MrSam_Derp_Man

Commendable
May 31, 2019
I have not followed this tread but there is no longer a need for cross over cables. If the ports are gigabit it transmits and receives on all 4 pair so the concept of crossover does not really exist. Also now most 10/100 ports also support mdi.mdix so you can use straight cables on those also.

It has been close to 10yrs since equipment needed cross over cables so I hope you do not have stuff that old. Just use all straight cables. The ports on the switches will light up when they are connected.
I agree, i doubt that it would be the solution.
But it is one of those things were you think that it aint is but at the end solved it all together.
I think it has to be tested.

Thank you for your reply ...
  1. Have you seen my map?
  2. Can I have to connect the crossover cable from TP link switch or D link switch?
  3. Do you want me to change the patch cable to crossover cable
  4. Will I be able to make things working by connecting straight cable upto my D link switch and then connecting my pc with crossover one
I would try and make one short cable to test. you would place that between the switches.
The straight cable needs to be connected to the PC.

Reactions: Jesudas
Mar 25, 2021
I agree, i doubt that it would be the solution.
But it is one of those things were you think that it aint is but at the end solved it all together.
I think it has to be tested.

I would try and make one short cable to test. you would place that between the switches.
The straight cable needs to be connected to the PC.
Its really a big deal for me since i dont have a tools.....:oops:
I am going to borrow the tools from my friend in next week lets hope for the best........
i am really thankful to you for your replies 😇😇
and looking towards your help in future😊😊

Mar 25, 2021
Problem is if you use a cross over cable on a gigabit port it many time will lock to 100mbps.

If the ports are 10/100 then I guess there is little risk but I have not seen a switch that did not have auto midx for many years.
Thank you for your reply do you suggest anything else about the issue.....

Mar 25, 2021
Replacing your Cables from your modem to the switches.
you said you ran cat4? that is capped at 16mb/s

I would at least upgrade to Cat5e cables
Thank you for your valuable reply
Since setup is in my office, its quite hard for me to get cat5 cables. Since the distance overall covers nearly above 120 foots i will try to replace it by assigned AMC agency and will post the results..... hope you will assist in this matter in near future
thank you once again 😇