Question Problem with Unifi and Network Cameras

garrusvakarian

Honorable
Feb 19, 2018
Inside our house we have a Unifi AP Pro 1750 and outdoors a Unif UAP-AC Mesh.
Out on the house walls we have five Reolink Argus 2: https://reolink.com/product/argus-2/

The cameras only get 1 out of 4 lines in the Wifi bar, which is very strange because the cellphones/tablet get very good reception on the whole plot.
When I stand outdoors, I have around 100mbit over the entire plot on our 250mbit line. If I am about 200 meters away from the plot, we have about 50mbit.

What is strange is that if I am INSDIE THE HOUSE and create a Hotspot in the mobile, the cameras outdoors find the Hotspot with 3 of 4 lines in the Wifi bar.

The APs should not be worse than a cellphones hotspots ....

Is there anyone here who would like to help me?

kanewolf

Titan
Inside our house we have a Unifi AP Pro 1750 and outdoors a Unif UAP-AC Mesh.
Out on the house walls we have five Reolink Argus 2: https://reolink.com/product/argus-2/

The cameras only get 1 out of 4 lines in the Wifi bar, which is very strange because the cellphones/tablet get very good reception on the whole plot.
When I stand outdoors, I have around 100mbit over the entire plot on our 250mbit line. If I am about 200 meters away from the plot, we have about 50mbit.

What is strange is that if I am INSDIE THE HOUSE and create a Hotspot in the mobile, the cameras outdoors find the Hotspot with 3 of 4 lines in the Wifi bar.

The APs should not be worse than a cellphones hotspots ....

Is there anyone here who would like to help me?
We would need the system config from the UniFI controller and a map showing the relative positions of everything to help you. Have you posted this on the Ubiquiti forum?

garrusvakarian

Honorable
Feb 19, 2018
We would need the system config from the UniFI controller and a map showing the relative positions of everything to help you. Have you posted this on the Ubiquiti forum?
Yes I did a post in the Unfi forum, but got no reply.
I miss the old support box in the right corner they had before in the Unfi controller.

Here are some settings:
https://i.ibb.co/WfW8pZ5/unifi1.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/7WWp0h8/unifi3.jpg

If you need other settings please tell :)

kanewolf

Titan
Your pictures show you are running auto channel and auto power. That is bad. You want to manually choose your channel and power levels.
Are all your APs wired or are you using wireless uplinks?

The most useful thing to post is settings -> maintenance -> show system config That is the summary that shows in a compact format your network config.
Your cameras have poor signal -70db and -62db is poor.

garrusvakarian

Honorable
Feb 19, 2018
Your pictures show you are running auto channel and auto power. That is bad. You want to manually choose your channel and power levels.
Are all your APs wired or are you using wireless uplinks?

The most useful thing to post is settings -> maintenance -> show system config That is the summary that shows in a compact format your network config.
Your cameras have poor signal -70db and -62db is poor.

Here is the settings:
https://i.ibb.co/cDdkv5H/unifisettings.jpg

The AP's are connected Wired on a Unifi Edge Router.

kanewolf

Titan
Things to fix: You have old firmware. You have power and channel set to auto. You have connection monitor enabled.
You need to TUNE your setup. Start by setting the 2.4 power to low on all your APs and the 5Ghz to medium. Set your 2.4 channes to 1, 6 or 11.
Set your 5Ghz manually. They can stay where they are (below 50) or you can move one up to the high channels.
Disable connection monitor since you have all wired APs.

There are lot of threads on the Ubizuiti forum that have detailed instructions for optimizing UniFI APs.

garrusvakarian

Honorable
Feb 19, 2018
Things to fix: You have old firmware. You have power and channel set to auto. You have connection monitor enabled.
You need to TUNE your setup. Start by setting the 2.4 power to low on all your APs and the 5Ghz to medium. Set your 2.4 channes to 1, 6 or 11.
Set your 5Ghz manually. They can stay where they are (below 50) or you can move one up to the high channels.
Disable connection monitor since you have all wired APs.

There are lot of threads on the Ubizuiti forum that have detailed instructions for optimizing UniFI APs.
Ok, should I leave the Antenna Gain on standard? 3dBi (2.4ghz) and 4dBi(5ghz)
and channel Width on VHT20(2.4) and VHT40(5)?

I tried with setting on channel 1 on both AP's on 2.4ghz and low and channel 44 and medium on 5ghz and I got worse perfomence on my cellphones, tpest before was 220mbit and after 145 mbit and the cameras got from 1 of 4 lines in wifi bar to 0 of 4(still had connection).
Also the Wifi experince went worse after updating firmware.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Ok, should I leave the Antenna Gain on standard? 3dBi (2.4ghz) and 4dBi(5ghz)
and channel Width on VHT20(2.4) and VHT40(5)?
Those are the standard gain for the antennas. I would leave it be.
2.4Ghz should ALWAYS be 20Mhz width.
5Ghz can be a little more flexible. If you want higher bandwidth you can go to 80Mhz on your main AP. I would leave the outdoor unit at 40Mhz.

garrusvakarian

Honorable
Feb 19, 2018
Those are the standard gain for the antennas. I would leave it be.
2.4Ghz should ALWAYS be 20Mhz width.
5Ghz can be a little more flexible. If you want higher bandwidth you can go to 80Mhz on your main AP. I would leave the outdoor unit at 40Mhz.
Ok, is there any USA mode on those AP's? Wich makes the signal stronger.