Question Problem with updating BIOS on Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ULTRA ?

av8er

Honorable
Apr 9, 2018
I think I broke my BIOS. I am attempting to flash the bios system. I have downloaded F24a from the gigabyte website from this link:

I press the flash button on my motherboard with NOTHING (no RAM, no CPU, all power aside motherboard and CPU pins are unplugged) plugged into the mother board aside the fpanel, and others listed before.

After pressing the flash button on the bios, the computer turns on, and then back off after a few seconds.

Did I kill my motherboard?

I check the light next to the qflash button and it does not come on after pressing the qflash.

Last edited:

av8er

Honorable
Apr 9, 2018
Found my answer.

I had enabled xmp with 4 sticks of memory at 6000mhz. Apparently an i9-13900k is incapable of handling 4 sticks of 6000mhz memory.

av8er

Honorable
Apr 9, 2018
ok, except in your original post you said ram and cpu were not in the board.
I had unplugged them. In an attempt to be clear, I forgot to include what I had done on start up.

I apologize. Initially, everything started up properly. I had plugged everything in, started up, and gotten into bios just fine. (Everything being, motherboard being fully connected, cpu, memory, 2 m.2 nvme drives, fans, and aio)

Then, I enabled xmp, and saved and exited. I wasn't aware intel does not handle oc RAM when maxing out slots in the mobo. Again, sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing but I see where I misspoke.

After I had enabled xmp, nothing on my computer would load and my keyboard/mouse were not registering. So, after some research I saw someone had said to disconnect everything, and press the q flash button. I did that, and it did nothing. I reinstalled everything, took the cmos battery out, pressed the power button 5 times, and then placed the cmos battery back in and it had reset the bios.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023
I read this post with great interest. I am fully aware now of the somewhat surprising hidden firmware backdoor access recently found by Eclypium which might affect upto 400 boards, mine being one of the vulnerable. A pity Gigabyte couldn't have told us all a little bit earlier before being found out by these people. I am running a Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite DDR4. As a result of finding this hacking issue I chose to update using exactly the same details that I had when I installed this motherboard in November last year, I am currently running on version F22 and need to update to the latest F24a which specifically covers the Download Assistant Vulnerabilities Reported by Eclysium. I tried several times using the update BIOS option in the basic setting and not the instannt update via the button on the board. I am now seeing a BIOS ID check error. I know that nothing at all has changed since this computer was built ( by me) but it will not load any other BIOS versions at all, same error message for them all. Wondering if this might be as a side effect of the hacking. What prompted this was a total W10 and FS2020 reload from scratch using the same hardware as a result of far too many crashes to desktop I spent the best part of 4 weeks un-sucessfully trying to troubleshoot. Any ideas would be much appreciated. BTW, always have and still do love the work your site does for us all . .

As a bit of a sidenote I can only suspect it is a Motherboard failure on build as all the setting were difficult to load and often too many attempts to load it up. I have a few days ago ordered a Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX and some new RAM. Irony of irony, this board too is one of the 407 discovered to be vulnerable to this attack too. If this fixes the issue, the Z690 will go back on warranty and to tell the truth, I think my next build will bypass anything currently Gigabyte has to offer.

Last edited: