[SOLVED] Problem with v-core on ryzen 5 2600

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
Hello guys, i have changed my CPU R5 1400 to a R5 2600 and i heard of people getting it up to 4.2GHz (that's not my goal). But i am struggling to know what's the mistake i make while overclocking with ryzen master.

Currently i can keep it up at 1.35v and 3.9GHz but someone said i shouldn't have the volts at 1.35 but at 1.25 or something like that. Indeed when i first installed the R5 the voltage was like 1.12 or something like that, i don't remember exactly. But i tried using 3.9GHz @ 1.25v and it passed the ryzen master's stress test but it crashed while running cinebench r20.

My temps are normal (if not under heavy load like cinebench, otherwise it gets almost at 80ºC) idle are 44-47ºC (where i live it's considerably hot since it's summer so it's not something i will worry about) and while gaming it doesn't reach 65ºC. And if it does, it never gets above it.

My setup is

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: MSI GTX 1660 TI Gaming X
PSU: Nox Urano 650w 80+ bronze
MOBO: Asrock AB350m Pro4
RAM: Corsair LPX 16gb 2x8 2400mhz

Thank you in advance

Solution
Well ideally you want as low of voltage possible while keeping the CPU stable at the clock speed you are set to. If it's not stable a 1.25v try 1.26 if that's not stable try 1.27 and so on, I wouldn't go past 1.35v even that seems like a bit much for everyday use. Every CPU is a bit different when it comes to how much voltage it will take to be stable at a given clock speed, so just because some random guy on the internet's R5 2600 is stable at 1.25v 3.9ghz does not mean that yours will be.

Your mistake was just jumping right to 1.35v and not trying anything lower first. Maybe read a good ryzen overclocking guide, lots of good info on ryzen overclocking out there.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well ideally you want as low of voltage possible while keeping the CPU stable at the clock speed you are set to. If it's not stable a 1.25v try 1.26 if that's not stable try 1.27 and so on, I wouldn't go past 1.35v even that seems like a bit much for everyday use. Every CPU is a bit different when it comes to how much voltage it will take to be stable at a given clock speed, so just because some random guy on the internet's R5 2600 is stable at 1.25v 3.9ghz does not mean that yours will be.

Your mistake was just jumping right to 1.35v and not trying anything lower first. Maybe read a good ryzen overclocking guide, lots of good info on ryzen overclocking out there.

Solution

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019

I'll keep that in mind, thank you. What good ryzen guide would you recommend?

prophet51

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
I'm running a 2600@1.300v in ryzen master @ 3.925ghz. That's the highest frequency I can run without overwhelming my stock stealth cooler. You need to be able to keep temps around 70c or so under stress testing or your power usage starts going up too much reducing the performance capability of the cpu.
Most people getting 4.1-4.2ghz are running the spire cooler or better.

Last edited: