Problem with Video Card or TV

tonyn1

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I have a computer with a GTS 250 video card which is hooked up to my 40" Samsung HDTV. I was working fine until about 6 months or so ago when it started randomly rebooting and sometimes it wouldn't reboot but would lose video for a second or two. Being that the computer was still under warranty, I conferred with their tech department and they though I might have a bad video card, so they sent me a replacement. However, the computer was still rebooting on it's own, so I sent the whole computer back for them to work on it. I just received it back and plugged it in, and it doesn't seem to be rebooting on its own so far, buy I lose the video for a second or two and it seems to be happening more often. I was ready to call these guys back and give them hell for not fixing it properly, but before I did, I thought I'd try another monitor just to make sure I had no problems with the equipment on my end. It is just a standard VGA monitor however, and so far, I have not seen the problem yet. I had my 40" TV connected to the computer through an HDMI cable. I'm just wondering if just a part of a video card, like an HDMI, can be bad, as everything seems to work fine through VGA. Or is the imput on my TV screwed up somehow? I don't have the problem when I'm watching it as a TV and using the cable box. I also tried a different cable, but it didn't help. I want to make sure I know it's not my TV before I send this thing back again for repair. So is it the video card or my TV?

tonyn1

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
The power supply was replaced when I sent the computer back. I've already tried swapping the cable, as I stated earlier. Last night I plugged the cable box into the PC imput, and so far, it has not blacked out any, so I'm suspecting the video card.

tonyn1

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

No on the other TV with HDMI. I'm pretty sure it must be the video card.