Question Problem with WD My Passport Ultra Portable HDD ?

ahmedghazi

Distinguished
May 20, 2014
Hi

I have WD my passport ultra 4tb. The device was damaged by bad sectors. I tried to use many famous programs and CMD commands to fix the device but the device still doesn't work. The device still says 0bytes and I can't assign a letter to it. I need help !!!

From what you've told us, the hard disk is NOT being recognized. Only the enclosure.
BTW - there's no separate enclosure electronics.
USB controller is integrated into the drive itself.

DR_-_RSADA_-_External_Hard_Disk_Recovery-proofed-01Mar_html_m7d4e28ca.jpg

Last edited:

samy111

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2015
Something similar happened to me a long time a go with a 500GB WD Green that started making weird noises for several days until it stopped working in Windows.

What I did was download a Ubuntu ISO and boot from the USB. I didn't know if I was going to recognize the WD HDD but I was lucky. Despite the fact that it took a few minutes to recognize it and enter the Ubuntu desktop interface. I was able to extract everything I needed and copy to other disk. I left the games, movies and expendable things on the disk. The important thing is I was able to recover my files.

USAFRet

Titan
That happened to me with a 500GB WD Green that started making weird noises for several days until it stopped working in Windows.

What I did was download a Ubuntu ISO and boot from the USB. I didn't know if I was going to recognize the WD HDD but I was lucky. Despite the fact that it took a few minutes to recognize it and enter the Ubuntu desktop interface. I was able to extract everything I needed and copy to other disk. I left the games, movies and expendable things on the disk. The important thing is I was able to recover my files.
Yes, that was "lucky".

I've had similar, where the drive could not be accessed at all, by any system or OS.
Both an HDD and an SSD.
In both cases, the physical drive was replaced by warranty.
The data on them was recovered directly from my backup routine.

The ONLY safe thing is to be proactive with your own backups.
Do not depend on Linux, or a recovery company.
Sometimes, the drive is just ...dead.

Reactions: samy111

samy111

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2015
Yes, that was "lucky".

I've had similar, where the drive could not be accessed at all, by any system or OS.
Both an HDD and an SSD.
In both cases, the physical drive was replaced by warranty.
The data on them was recovered directly from my backup routine.

The ONLY safe thing is to be proactive with your own backups.
Do not depend on Linux, or a recovery company.
Sometimes, the drive is just ...dead.
You're right. Yeah they're weird stuff. And besides, you at least had a warranty and backup. I almost never do it only from the OS when I update it so I always risk losing files.

My HDD after all was a few years old and had no warranty so I didn't miss it. But being able to save my files in such way made my day🆒

USAFRet

Titan
....backup. I almost never do it only from the OS when I update it so I always risk losing files.
Well, thats all on you.
A dead drive should never result in lost data. Or even a risk of lost data.

Reactions: samy111

ahmedghazi

Distinguished
May 20, 2014
Something similar happened to me a long time a go with a 500GB WD Green that started making weird noises for several days until it stopped working in Windows.

It doesnt work for me !!!!