Problem with win repair tool

rkahler

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Hi
I am writing this on my iPod touch, thanks to my computer not working. I use xp pro. Idealy, I want to fix the computer but would settle for getting access to some file to copy off to a USB so I don't lose them.

I cannot load into windows. It never gets to windows, but instead I get a message saying missing or corupt file windows\system32\config\system
It says to try repair through windows setup.

When I load from cd, to the windows setup, I have the option to run setup or repair. When I choose repair, I choose #1 for the windows install. But then nothing happens, it just sits there frozen until I end up rebooting. I left it all day, in case was really slow.

From the windows setup I also tried to press enter to continue with setup instead or the r for repair. I accept the user agreement, then it searches for previous inatals of windows, but it freezes there, nothing else happens.

I read one place to type in bootcfg in the repair tool to poss fix it not finding installed copies of windows but never have any chance to do so.

rkahler

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I tried not using the first r option. After I press enter to continue, I accept the user license. It then searches for previous installs of windows, but freezes there every time.