Problem with Windows 10 on 60gb SSD boot drive (running out of space, can't install updates anymore) +wake up from sleep issue

Jun 17, 2018
Hi guys, starting to feel desperate and very annoyed by this situation.

I have this PC I built in 2012, it's still good and mostly meant for work (not gaming)... my issue is my 60GB boot drive (about 55 usable) doesn't seem to be enough for Windows 10 anymore. Is that normal and has anyone any ideas/advices on how to fix it or remedy this situation quick and easy? ideally without having to change to a new larger boot drive.

All my data is on another hard drive, so are the majority of my softwares, and virtual memory paging file. I don't know what to delete anymore, even looking with WinDirStat, I cannot find stuff to delete. I have 3 to 4 GB left on the boot drive right now and cannot install the latest updates.

Windows keeps reminding me every time I turn my PC on and there's no way I can turn off the notifications (or is there???)

Also another issue that is driving me crazy, I cannot use the sleep feature! Every single time it will wake up on its own, often in the middle of the night around 3 a.m. I've tried everything, turning off all devices that could wake or tasks but whatever I do some auto-update tasks or something always comes back..... PLEASE, help me!!!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, 60gb not being enough for windows 10 is normal now as the smallest I would recommend now is 256gb (not that you need it all, just enough spare space nor to worry about it for a few years). You can run it in less, its just a struggle.

Is the update a feature update? I suspect its a new version of windows and I think there is a way to get it on, I will ask another mod who did it.

You can probably find that you have a few hidden files on the computer like hiberfil.sys and maybe something else that is taking up about 4gb+ (you can safely remove this, google it).
But sadly, 60gb is too small and Colif is right.

It is time to replace the 60 with at least 120 but as he says 250+ is the way to go for the next few years.

Colif

Win 11 Master
New feature in the Windows Update procedure.

In running the Spring Update (available today), on my Win 10 test VM, this magical thing pops up.
This VM only has 32GB dedicated to it, much as you'd find in a little netbook eMMC drive.

It choked during the update, due to not enough free space.

It gives the option to use an external drive of some sort.
gX4ntkj.png

Here, I just freed up some space.

In my little Asus Transformer, if that also chokes due to space I'll see what happens with using an external 'drive'. 64GB microSD card.

Jun 17, 2018
Alright, well thanks for trying to help guys. I deleted a few more files, still wasn't enough so I did some more research online and found that it was quite safe to delete whatever trash is in the "software distribution" folder and it seems to have worked, managed to have up to 8GB freed and now installing something like 5gb of updates. Windows never showed me that option to install from external source or other drive. This is so stupid btw. 60gb boot drive ONLY for Windows should be plenty enough, it just should, are they filling updates with bloatware or what!?

USAFRet

Titan

You have until October to change that drive.
That's when the next semi-annual large update appears.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows 10 updates actually add new features, Windows 10 is still being made, it will be finished if/when the last Version is made and we don't know when that will be. It's much easier to just support one version of Windows rather than make a new one every 5 years or so. They can keep win 10 up to date forever... if they choose too.

MY windows folder itself hasn't grown a great deal in 3 years, I recall it used to be 17gb and now its 19gb. The updates you get through Windows Update should only be necessary updates for your PC, all the bloatware is actually stored on the windows store and downloaded in the background. So perhaps check what you have installed through it, and remove some of it like Candy Crush

You have to remember, by default any games you play anything you do goes into your Documents folder, which is always on C drive (unless you change it) and then you have the DATA under Appdata that is usually huge. (mine is 31.8gb)
250 is def needed as boot drive nowadays

As Coif said as well, Windows downloads crap games onto your computer so you should use Add/Remove programs to obviously remove them.

TRENDING THREADS