Problem with windows 7

sixsamuraisoldier

Honorable
May 13, 2013
See, the problem is, i downloaded linux mint 15, and now windows 7 wont boot, it was gone, and i added it to GRUB 2.0 manually, but it simply shows a black screen and then goes back to the grub interface when selected PLEASE HELP
:(

Solution
Linux by default uses Ext (Extended File System http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_system) as its way to store files on the computer, this is NOT readable by Windows. By just clicking NEXT and doing the install you inadvertently informed the computer to store files as Ext, and probably in the processes WIPED OUT Windows, and all the files you had on the computer (if your repeated questioning is to just 'recover back to the way it was, you can't). The further problem is, if you just installed the Windows DVD to reinstall you probably be told there is NO SPACE on the drive / only recover a very small part of your drive for Windows and the rest unusable because it is only accessible by a Linux based OS.

Hence, back again to my...
You messed up your MBR and Windows doesn't know what to do. HOPEFULLY you didn't just click through the Linux process to install, because it would alter the File System that is NOT native to Windows. In which case your only choice, boot a Ubuntux DVD disk, delete all partitions and drives on the HDD, then reboot insert the Windows 7 DVD and reinstall from scratch.

If you want to play with multiple OSes, ALWAYS use Virtual Sandboxes, they create a virtual session to run the OS inside so it doesn't affect your primary (Windows) system.

You can't, you broke the MBR to tell what OS is on it, how it loads, etc. Since that is trashed only a reinstall of Windows (still lose everything) but that wouldn't work either as Linux would (by default) use a different File System that will have used up the rest of the drive space (Windows would show 0MB available to use).

So my instructions are the best solution to make the computer working from scratch

sixsamuraisoldier

Honorable
May 13, 2013

so in this case, how would i go about reinstalling windows?
thx, in advance, i am sad that windows is gone, but thanks anyways and if its not too much trouble pls help me

I stated what should be done, but if your not even familiar with installing Windows, Drivers, etc. then you need a professional to do it for you, it is WAY WAY too many steps possible mistakes and many technical possibilities that if A B C then G to layout in a posting here. I would take it to a IT Store, Best Buy, or your IT Geek friend.

Linux by default uses Ext (Extended File System http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_system) as its way to store files on the computer, this is NOT readable by Windows. By just clicking NEXT and doing the install you inadvertently informed the computer to store files as Ext, and probably in the processes WIPED OUT Windows, and all the files you had on the computer (if your repeated questioning is to just 'recover back to the way it was, you can't). The further problem is, if you just installed the Windows DVD to reinstall you probably be told there is NO SPACE on the drive / only recover a very small part of your drive for Windows and the rest unusable because it is only accessible by a Linux based OS.

Hence, back again to my instructions would be easiest. Download Ubuntux and make a boot DVD with it. Boot with it, then delete all sectors / drives. Reboot and insert the Windows DVD, it will see the drive completely empty (like it is brand new) and want to format and setup windows. Then have funw ith drivers, programs etc. reinstall.

Solution

sixsamuraisoldier

Honorable
May 13, 2013

oh, ok just the ext 1, 2, 3 etc. ok thx :D