Problem with wireless adapter or access point.

slauer12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
So my roommate cannot connect to the wifi at our apartment complex and when he tries it says the error "problem with wireless adapter or access point". Myself and our other roommates can cannot and his other devices connect fine. Also his laptop connects to other networks just fine. He does not have McAfee or iTunes on his computer anymore. He has made sure his drivers are updated so thats not the problem. Any other ideas are welcome though. Thanks for the help.

P.S. His labtop is a lenovo Y560P.

Solution
Check that the security and encryption protocols for the laptop match the router's by checking the settings on the working PCs.

On Windows machines, you can just right-click on the Wifi access point name and select "Properties" to view and change the protocols.

If that doesn't work, you are limited to what you can do without access to the wireless router. Sometimes certain wireless devices don't work well together. A different wireless adapter for the laptop could probably solve the problem. Your friend might only be able to purchase an inexpensive USB Wifi adapter for use while at your apartment.

slauer12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
We have tried restarting the lab top and we can't reset the router seeing as the apartment complex has hidden it. And yes the lab top can see the network and tries to connect but it says it failed and then we troubleshoot it to no avail. I don't think resetting the router will help cuz I can connect with my lab top and all other devices just fine

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable
Check that the security and encryption protocols for the laptop match the router's by checking the settings on the working PCs.

On Windows machines, you can just right-click on the Wifi access point name and select "Properties" to view and change the protocols.

If that doesn't work, you are limited to what you can do without access to the wireless router. Sometimes certain wireless devices don't work well together. A different wireless adapter for the laptop could probably solve the problem. Your friend might only be able to purchase an inexpensive USB Wifi adapter for use while at your apartment.

Solution