[SOLVED] Problem with x8 NIC in 2nd PCIe slot on Asus B550 Prime Plus ?

dovedescent7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Hey all

I recently purchased Asus B550 Prime Plus and in 1st or main pcie slot I have a GTX 1050 2gb. The problem I'm having is in the 2nd pcie x16 slot, I'm trying to use my QLogic Broadcom Bcm57810 10gbe card but it's like half recognizing it and the card isn't working or seen in device manager.
Iobit Driver tool finds the drivers for it though. But not seen by windows or device Mgr. I've also got the nvme slot occupied with is drive, and none of the pcie x1 slots are being used.
Also, some red flashy lights turn on and off on the Qlogic NIC when booting windows. Did I break it?

My question is: is it my motherboard preventing the qlogic card from working because I don't have enough pcie lanes or something?

I don't understand the board specs: does this board not support a pcie 3.0 x16 (gtx 1050) and pcie 2.0 x8 (nic card) at the same time?

The board

Solution
Hmm, try forcing PCIe 3.0 or 2.0 in the BIOS on that slot. Might be trying to bifurcate 4.0 and the card doesn't understand it.

Yes, the second PCIe x16 slot is only capable of 4x by looking at the motherboard traces, so at 3.0 that would be equivalent to 2.0 8x, even at 2x 4.0 would be enough. Just down to that card if it understands 3.0 and 4.0. At 2.0 you might only get 10Gbps out of one of the ports, or the card will refuse to even function without 8x available.

Might be possible to update the firmware on the NIC, check with Broadcom. Probably have to put your GPU in the second slot to do that though, if it will work in the board well enough for an update.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, try forcing PCIe 3.0 or 2.0 in the BIOS on that slot. Might be trying to bifurcate 4.0 and the card doesn't understand it.

Yes, the second PCIe x16 slot is only capable of 4x by looking at the motherboard traces, so at 3.0 that would be equivalent to 2.0 8x, even at 2x 4.0 would be enough. Just down to that card if it understands 3.0 and 4.0. At 2.0 you might only get 10Gbps out of one of the ports, or the card will refuse to even function without 8x available.

Might be possible to update the firmware on the NIC, check with Broadcom. Probably have to put your GPU in the second slot to do that though, if it will work in the board well enough for an update.

Solution