Problem with Zalman CNPS9700 LED

Trull

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
So I got a Zalman CNPS9700 LED here, cooling a Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 3.3GHz, and well, the thing is that the CNPS9700 LED just ignores the Fan Mate 2 used in order to control the cooler RPM, and, instead of that, it seems that moving the Fan Mate 2 wheel regulates the intensity of the LED :ouch:

When I set the Fan Mate 2 at the minimum it goes around 1000 RPM and when I set it full speed it goes around 900 RPM (sometimes it even turns off) :heink:

So now I have the Zalman plugged directly into the motherboard, and it seems to control the RPM according to the processor's temperature, but I have monitored it and it only goes from 1400 RPM to 1800 RPM as a max, and I know this cooler can reach 2800 RPM :sweat:

It's not that bad, but I didn't buy this cooler to work 1000 RPM under its full capacity, specially since I'm overclocking my processor.

Anyone knows what's going on with the cooler or how can I increase these RPM?

Thank you very much for your answers!

williamleja

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I suspect you've already checked the BIOS for a setting that controls the fan speed. My P5N32E BIOS has it hidden so make sure you scour the BIOS.

If you don't have an option in the BIOS to control the fan speed then I am not sure if it is possible to increase the fan speed. Don't quote me on that though.

Oh, BTW what kind of motherboard do you have?

Trull

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Alright, so I just entered the BIOS and saw the option "CPU Smart FAN Mode" and I have 3 options there:

-Auto: Lets BIOS autodetect the type of CPU fan installed and sets the optimal CPU fan control mode.

-Voltage: Sets Voltage mode for a 3-pin CPU fan.

-PWM: Sets PWM mode for a 4-pin CPU fan.

In my first post I had this option set to Auto. Now I set it to Voltage, because I know that more voltage means more speed, but I'm not sure on how this option works, cuz I don't see any option to adjust the voltage I want.

About the PWM mode... I don't know what's that, but it says it is for a 4-pin fan, and the CNPS9700 LED is a 3-pin fan.

My MoBo is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I believe the PWM is "Pulsed Wave Modulation". My guess is the voltage would set it at normal operation, to where you hook up normal 3 pin, just like hooking up any other 3 pin header on the MB for optional fans (system case fan/northbridge-southbridge fan).

The 4 pin, on the other hand gives the bios more control to make the fan spin at different speeds on how fast the pulse is generating to make the fan spin faster or slower.

The auto part seem more on the side to detect if 4 or 3 pins are being utilized, and sets it accordingly.

Also, even though you have a rated fan at a certain RPM, it doesn't mean that the MB is going to reflect that. As any sensor, it can/will read it differently.

Trull

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
So am I okay with the Voltage option? I just did a 3-4 minutes stress test with Orthos, and I get 60ºC at 100% load according to Core Temp, and the fan got at 2280 RPM or so according to SpeedFan. However, SpeedFan showed I was getting 40ºC :/ .Which one to trust?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Yes, I think your okay with the manual setting for voltage on smart fan.

Well on the temp... you need to understand that the C2D has 3 sensors.

1 sensor is between the cores, which is referred to as the Tcase sensor.

The other 2 are on the cores, which gives a digital reading, and referred as Tjuction temps, which should give you the hottest reading. (core temp would only read those)

It looks like your reading the Tcase sensor off Speed Fan. Speed Fan should also show the core temps, but the 4.33 could be set to the wrong Tjunction Max temp, in which you'd have to set the offset manually by 15C. So in other words if the Tjunction Max is reading 100C on Coretemp, then Speed Fan must think it's 85C (the 15C difference).

There's more info on that found:

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide

Edit:

Forgot to mention that you should setup Speed Fan correctly, or you could get temps mixed up. When you run it as is, its just telling you what it sees. From that point, you need to figure out what its seeing((temp1,temp3,temp3, ect.), and verify the temps with other temp apps, like what your MB uses for temp utility.

Trull

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007

Alright! :D But is SpeedFan trustable just for monitoring the speed of the fans, or should I use another program?

Trull

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007

Hey that's some interesting info! Thanks! :bounce:

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
some fanmates are plain faulty. I had one like that - you turn it all the way up and actually get fewer RMPs. But sticking 9700 directly into the mobo header should make it spin at ~2300, which you don't want, coz even the lowest setting is fine

Trull

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007

Yay... the 9700 is really good... but it's just that if I would have known that it wouldn't work at full capacity I wouldn't have bought it... specially since I'm overclocking and heat can reduce the CPU's lifetime.