PROBLEMA! NEED HELP!

metalloid

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I was building my computer and I've got it to boot up, but the HDD is not recognized!
Darn it, means that I can't get windows installed, and everything else is working though;;;;

I don't know, someone suggested that the HDD might not be powering up... Somebody please help me
so that I don't have to call GeekSquad or smth from bestbuy and waste a coupla hundreds!

So my system is:
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
CPU: AMD X4 965 BE
VGA: XFX Radeon HD 6790
RAM: G.SKill Ripjaw series 8 GB
PSU: Raidmax RX 850AE 850W
Optical: ASUS DVD-RW
Case: Rosewill Blackhawk with currently 9 fans
HDD: WD black caviar 7200 RPM 1 TB 64MB cache

trying to run windows 7 64 bit, and I think it should work right? Even in bios, I can't get HDD to be recognized
and I am currently using SATA cables that came with the cables to connect to both optical drive and HDD. And the SATA cable that has been labled HDD is used for connecting to the HDD, but doesn't seem to work. Currently, in my BIOS, options for connecting SATA drives are in Native IDE (other options wer RAID and ATHC or smth). WD manual said I might have to set it to RAID, but when I do, the system boots up and scanning drive, and message comes up saying something wrong with hardware or smth.

Really hoping somebody would help QQ Is my HDD just DOA or is it me? Well the power is connected for sure I think because the same connector for power for optical drive works fine and has the optical drive being recognized no problem. Oh, and HDD is on SATA 0, while optical drive in SATA 1

addison

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Have you tried the other satas? Try them if no of them are STILL not detected it could be a bad HDD, which is rare. Hell even could be the cable. It's not you but are you SURE that the power cable is all the way in, is the sata in all the way also if is all steady everything plugged in and still not working, it is the either SATA slot, cable, or HDD. Go to your local COMPUSA and buy a cable or from any computer store, try a new cable if it doesn't work it's the SATA or HDD.

metalloid

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I tried using the SATA cable of the optical drive, and it didn't work... still wouldn't get recognized. I'm guessing in BIOS, if it is indeed recognized, it will spell out the name, like, 'WD caviar black....' but nothing like that. And when I used the SATA cable reading 'HDD' it still works when connected to the optical drive. So, it's probably either I need to get a seperate cable designed for my HDD or get a replacement right??

TRENDING THREADS