Problematic GA-K8VM800M / Athlon 64 3000+

HI all,

I'm a newbie here, but i'm having quite a lot of troubles with this new
computer i'm building. All new parts. The problem is that i can install
windows xp onto the harddrive running from the CD. (blue setup screen
process), but when it goes to reboot the first time into windows to
finalise the install, as soon as it tries to boot from the hard drive,
the computer restarts.

It checks the cd-rom for a boot disk, then asks if you want to boot
from the cd - letting it go on and not hitting any keys should then
boot from the hard drive. except, this system restarts itself. its
getting quite annoying.

I feel it is a mainboard issue, but would like to run it past you all.
basically i have taken this hadd out and installed into another
machine, installed windows on the new hdd and then put it back into the
K8VM800M and it worked for a while before it decided not to run any
Apps. So i figured i would re-install it again in the new box.

I've replaced the memory, tried a different video card(other then the
onboard), removed all PCi cards, removed all DVD burners, removed all
USB devices but i can't get it to go..

i'm running 80wire IDE cables

spec is;

Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M
Athlon 64 3000+
512mb generic memory
Western Digital 80gb WD800BB 2mb buffer - IDE - being auto detected
Lite-on SOHW 1653S - IDE - auto detected
400W PSU
NO PCI
NO USB(front connectors aren't plugged in)
NO sound connectors plugged in
17" LCD (not that it should matter)

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

ADDED - also i have updated the motherboard bios to F5 (which i believe
is the latest from the Gigabyte website)

--
Silvo

Check your boot priority in BIOS. Also make sure your system isn't set up as
RAID, since you only have a single drive.