Question Problematic TP-Link adapter causes issues

KamPov

Prominent
Jul 26, 2022
Hello, I've been using a TL-WN822N V5 usb wifi adapter (costs 15$ here) for a year, at first it worked well, it would drop connection at times but it was tolerable.
After booting up the pc the adapter wouldn't be recognized at all, you'd have to unplug it and plug it for the wifi networks to appear but nothing too annoying.

Yesterday, upon booting my pc, the internet connection started to drop 2-3 seconds after being connected to the wifi, even though the adapter was still blinking, so I kept trying to connect to the wifi multiple times after that without touching the adapter and after the 5th or so disconnect I got a BSOD. I waited for the BSOD to complete and after restarting the pc I got a USB device not recognized notification.

Now I'm considering buying ASUS AX1800 PCIe WiFi Adapter as I read that PCIe adapters are more stable than usb ones.

Do you think that crappy wifi usb adapters can cause bsods or could it be something else?

PC specs:
--------------------------------------------

GPU: msi gtx 1650 4GT LP OC

CPU: i7 4770 3.40 ghz

Motherboard: Intel DB85FL Desktop Motherboard

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-550W Gold

RAM: 16gb ddr3 1333mhz

HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA050 500GB SATA Hard Drive

SSD: Intenso SSD SATA III 500gb
--------------------------------------------

here's the BSOD: View: https://imgur.com/a/JRC4TS0

KamPov

Prominent
Jul 26, 2022
I'm not able to use an ethernet cable, so I'm using the usb wifi adapter, not sure if that's what you needed to know? I've not used the adapter in 2 days though in fear of bsods.

Forgot to mention that the adapter is positioned behind a column, roughly 3 meters away from the router.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the BSOD has something to do with the USB Wi-fi adapter.

Before buying the PCI-E adapter (do you really need Bluetooth?) you might want to try other USB adapter, I have used a lot of cheap USB adapter like this one and never had problem with them through WinXP to Win10.

3c44519e-9aa7-4f7d-b685-2adee7fc01a5_1.3b62f05ff7846a7fda9c58548229f629.jpeg

Anyway the TL-WN822N V5 you mentioned above doesn't seem to support 5Ghz, if your Wi-fi router offer 5Ghz wireless, it's time to replace it. The 2.4Ghz is slow and is greatly prone to interferences that may cause connection drops.

TRENDING THREADS