Problems accessing the internet

Spablauwww

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Hello,

We recently had a big internet problem because of our ISP who messed up with the ADSL cables coming to our house but didn't want to admit it at the beginning and they kept saying that it was our fault...

But now that that has been solved I've noticed another problem which really bothers me while using the internet and started a bit later than our big internet problem but hasn't been solved yet

When I'm on my phone watching a stream or even surfing on the web, I suddenly have no internet access anymore however my brother sitting next to me does have a working connection or the other way around me having a working connection while he can't access the internet.
It's like our router/modem can only handle a certain amount of people at the same time. During this issue I do not get disconnected from the Wi-Fi, its just that I don't have internet access. Turning of and in my Wi-Fi sometimes even fixes the problem

It think it began when they changed our ethernet outlet (that thing where the modem is connected to) from a former 'T' outlet (I'm living in France) to a DTI Test.

I've already manually assigned static IP adresses to all of my devices I'm using so I don't think it is a problem with the IP adresses because everyone is always able to retrieve an ip and connect to the internet, even my ps4 that is connected by cable has this issues.

I'm using a Livebox Pro V2 from Sagem and this is my setup:

Ethernet outlet----> modem (which also serves as router but we turned the wifi off on it) -----> router (Cisco)
And for the other side of the house we use a powerline adapter that is connected to the modem

I hope someone could help me....

Ralston18

Titan
Are both the modem (that serves as a router) and the Cisco router providing IP addresses - static and DHCP?

Only one device should be doing the routing. You turned off the wireless - routing may still need to be disabled.

You mentioned the powerline adapter as being connected to the modem but your line diagram shows an incoming Ethernet outlet coming into the modem. Where is that connection coming from?

Reference:

https://assistance.orange.fr/livebox-modem/toutes-les-livebox-et-modems/depanner/un-probleme-d-acces-a-internet/aucune-connexion/livebox-pro-v2-verifier-les-branchements-sur-une-prise-murale-rj45_213283-26376

Two areas of concern: 1) The routing configuration and 2) the physical network connections.

Sketch out your network showing all devices and the static IPs you have assigned. Make sure only one router is doing the routing and that all assigned static IP addresses are outside of the available DHCP IP address range. And that those static IP addresses are reserved for each device via that device's MAC.

Spablauwww

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
The ethernet outlet that I mentioned is the thing connected to the cable coming from our ISP.

I'm not sure if both are providing IP adresses, our Cisco router is connected to the modem with a rj45 cable in the ethernet port.
I do have a different IP adress when connected to the powerline adapter than when I'm connected to the Cisco router.

All assigned static IP adresses are out of the DHCP range but I don't understand what you mean by the MAC adresses reserved for that device? How do I check that?

Spablauwww

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
My ip adress for the cisco is 192.168.1.152 and is static (my router's DHCP range is between 100-150 and when connected to the powerline adapter I get 192.168.1.103

I'm using the Cisco E3000 router

So where did you set the static addresses on the host devices of the router? you will need to log into the cisco or the orangebox and make sure dhcp is turned off on either of them, I would suggest doing so on the cisco. the cisco should be connected via a lan port to the powerline adapter not its wan port. You basically need the Cisco to act as a switch/wireless AP NOT a router.

Spablauwww

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Thanks for your help, we might have found the problem!

I began thinking what changes we made on the old modem that has now been replaced, since the problem began at that moment, it must be somewhere in the modem's settings.
And now I remember after you telling me that DHCP should be turned of on either of them that we had DHCP turned of on the MODEM and our router did al the work.

I'll try it this week and I'll post the result.

Thanks a lot!

Yes, that will cause a problem!!!!

Ralston18

Titan
Solution