Question Problems accessing Windows on USB DVD drive on boot-up ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
My new system completes the POST on start-up and I'm able to access the BIOS via delete key and everything seems to be in order, but I can't run or access the OEM Windows 10 on the USB DVD drive even though it is shown in the boot order list. The DVD drive is selected as the first boot device, but what happens is that something to do with Windows appears for a split-second, but then the screen blanks except for a small flashing horizontal white line (like a hyphen) and the display remains like that forever, so what to do?

Just some thoughts here... The system is working ok as such otherwise I couldn't get into the BIOS, and all connected drives appear in the boot-list, so maybe it's a memory issue? The ram modules are rated at 3600MHz but the BIOS shows it as less than that, 2800MHz I think. Could this be the cause of it? Thanks if anyone can help.

What do you mean by the dvd doesn't know what to do next? The dvd rom that the windows is on, or the dvd drive? Neither makes sense to me seeing as the dvd drive is shown in the boot order.
With the DVD I mean what's on the DVD, the installation app makes some assumptions about your system and if it happens that those assumptions are wrong then the whole process stops.
For example if it assumes that a certain type of volume or disk or partition is at a specific place but there is nothing there then it just waits indefinitely for it (to magically appear) .

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Right, I get you now. So the installation app on the windows dvd didn't like something about the system so it just stopped. Great.

Right, I ran rufus but how do I select or get the 'Disk or ISO image'? I clicked on the DVD drive with the windows dvd but this didn't get me anywhere. Also, do I select MBR or GPT for the partition scheme?

Ok, in the end I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool and used that to copy Windows 10 onto a usb flash drive formatted to NTFS.
So if I insert this into the new build and select the usb flash drive as first boot, it will work, right?

Last edited:

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
🤞 One can only hope.
Well. it worked! Thank you for the very useful pointers.
First I inserted the usb stick with the windows installer on it and then booted-up. I then went into the bios via Del-key and checked the boot order.
The usb stick was shown as the first boot with uefi in the description, and CSM or legacy mode was enabled. I then saved and exited via F10 and the windows 10 installer ran! I now have Windows 10 Home edition installed!

One slight issue was with the product key that came with the dvd windows. The font size is so small that it's very difficult to read - in the end I proceeded without the product key so will have to sort that out next somehow.