Question Problems after creating new partition and then moving folders

Sep 1, 2019
A couple of days ago I noticed that my C drive was almost full. After doing some investigating I discovered that the C drive was only 75 GB in size. My PC has a 1 TB hard drive so I knew there must be a lot more space somewhere. Anyway, I discovered an unallocated partition around 900 GB in size. So I turned this into an H drive. Then I moved my download folder, documents, pictures, music and video onto this drive.
Now here lies the problem. Each of the folders contains all the same files. I thought that maybe it was just a case of deleting files from folders they were supposed to be in. So I went ahead and deleted everything from the download folder. But when I checked all the other folders they were also empty. Luckily, I was able to restore everything from the recycle bin. I tried moving everything back to the C drive but it won't let me do it. So at the moment I'm stuck and have no idea what I've done or what to do.
Any help would be appreciated

Before doing anything else, back up anything you don't want to lose. Now as for recovery, we'll need to know the exact error message you get. It sounds like you may have just created shortcuts on the H: drive, but it's hard to say without more details. How much free space do you have on the C: drive and what's the cumulative size of the files you want to put there? If you're tight on space on the C: drive, you can delete it from that H: drive and expand the C: drive.

Reactions: sdedu77
Sep 1, 2019
Okay guys, thanks for getting back to me. I'd gone to bed by the time you posted last night.

What I did was to go to file Explorer and right click on all the libraries/folders (my documents, pictures etc) and then go to properties >. Location and then choose the H drive and simply move everything. That's all I did.

Sep 1, 2019
You should have created separate folders on H: drive for documents,pictures etc and moved each of libraries to appropriate folders.
Now you have mushed everything together into root folder of H: drive.
is it just a case of creating the libraries for all the different folders and then moving the appropriate content?

USAFRet

Titan
is it just a case of creating the libraries for all the different folders and then moving the appropriate content?
There is a proper way to do it.

Win 7 & 8: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/new-ssd-now-what-redirecting-static-files-elsewhere.1518605/

Win 8.1 & 10: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-redirect-folders-to-other-drives-in-windows.1701731/

Basically, create a folder, then tell the Properties/Location tab where that folder is.
Just selecting the root of the drive leaves the mess you now have.

Sep 1, 2019
Yeah, that is basically what I did, apart from creating the subfolders. Shouldn't be too difficult, I'll just have to move the appropriate content from each folder.

Sep 1, 2019
I decided to put everything back under the C drive worry was originally and try and start from scratch. However, I've forgotten where it goes. I think the path to documents, pictures, etc should be as follows: This PC > WINDOWS (C) > Users > Pen

Sep 1, 2019
Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what you mean you talk about the default location. What I'm asking is if the path I wrote down in my previous message is correct for me to create the folders again on my C drive.

Sep 1, 2019
Like this:

C:\Users\Pen\Documents
C:\Users\Pen\Pictures
etc
Oh, by the way, to answer your question, yes, there is a "default" folder under "users". If I go into Windows (C) > Users then I have three folders. Default, Penn & public. Pen and public appear to have what looks like a little pin to the left whereas default is a slightly diluted yellow with no pin. If I go into default than all my folders are in there. However, there doesn't appear to be any of my original content contained within these folders.

Once I've got everything back under the C drive is there any way I can extend the size of it? At the moment it's only 76 GB. The unallocated partition is 900 GB. I'm hoping there is somehow a way that I can take this unallocated partition and add it to the 76 GB.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019
I have recreated the necessary folders in the C drive. However, when I click on "this PC" I'm still seeing the 5 new drives that I created a couple of days ago. Normally, I would click on this PC and I would see what's on the C drive. How can I put things back to normal?

I recreated the downloads folder but I would imagine if I download something is automatically going to go to the new partition I created.

Sep 1, 2019
Things have suddenly become a lot clearer. I didn't actually move any of the folders from the C drive over to the H drive. When I moved the content the subfolders stayed in place on the C drive. So it's just a case of putting everything back and then changing everything back so my computer looks at the C drive.