Problems After Deleting Ubuntu Partition

Dmac9244

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014
I realize there are surely many threads on many forums all asking the same question I'm asking, I've looked through a bunch of them, but none have seemed to fix my problem. A couple days ago, I tried getting rid of the Ubuntu partition of my hard drive. Unfortunately, I may also have accidentally deleted some important partitions for Windows to boot too. After I deleted the Linux partition, (and the others,) when I tried to boot Windows, I got a grub error saying that there were no operating systems to boot, basically. No amount of bootrec.exe or other Windows repair programs worked. Then I used testdisk.exe on the UBCD4WIN disk and used the MBR and boot repair options to try to get a working boot sector. After a reboot, I got a "winload.exe missing" error, but it was a Windows boot error screen! Now, after some more bootrec.exe, the error message has changed to "required device is missing or unable to be accessed" error. I'm assuming now that I need the MBR and MSP partitions, and I am currently writing them in with gparted. (That will take 7 hours, I am moving my C: partition to do it)

The automatic Windows boot repair function hasn't worked at any step in the process.

I think my next step is to create a Windows 10 recovery disk with all the necessary files to recover Windows, and try to recover using that. (I have another computer with Win10 on it)

If that doesn't work, I may have to recover the image that I (happily) made of the drive before deleting the Linux partition.

If anyone has some information that may help, please feel welcome to share, it will be much appreciated!

Dmac9244

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014

Unfortunately, the recovery disk I made on my computer is now unusable, and I can't make another for my specific computer.
Since yesterday I have realized that my drive is MBR not GPT (I don't know how that happened,) and that Windows seems unrecoverable. My last option now is to make an image of my hard drive, and reinstall Windows.