[SOLVED] Problems after overclokking memory (Screen wnet black and yellow light appeared)

Nov 27, 2021
Hi good helpers :)
We really have a problem with my son's gaming pc. He wanted to upgrade his PC when he thought there was too little space on the SSD disk and a little too little memory. He has an ASUS ROG STRIX B450 E Gaming Motherboard. He bought 2 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200Mh and a Kingston NV1 NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB. We took out the old one and installed the new one and started windows 10 installation. Everything went great, it started up in windos and looked great. But then my son wanted to clock up the memory to 3200Mh, we went into the BIOS and found the setting and clocked it up to 3200Mh and started again. After that, the screen has been completely black. A Yellow light has also appeared next to the memory chips (To the left of socket A1). We have tried to remove the CMOS battery, reset CLRTC with jumper. take out memory sticks, insert one and place it in all four ports. None of what we have tried has changed anything. There are lights in memory chips and video cards when we start it, fans also start and everything except the yellow light and the black screens work just fine.
Spec:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450 E Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 X MPK
RAM: Old Memory = Corsair vengeance rgb pro 2 x 8 GB 2666Mhz New memory = Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200Mh
Video card: ASUS Geforce RTX 2070 DUAL evo
Power supply: Corsair VS650 PSU 650 W/std/w

I and not least my son really appreciate the help in this issue.

Last edited:
Solution
Were the 2 ram sticks bought in the same kit, or were they two sticks with identical part numbers?

Two separate sticks may have been cheaper, but they are not guaranteed to work together.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios.

3200 speed ram must...
Hi good helpers :)
We really have a problem with my son's gaming pc. He wanted to upgrade his PC when he thought there was too little space on the SSD disk and a little too little memory. He has an ASUS ROG STRIX B450-f Gaming 2 Motherboard. He bought 2 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200Mh and a Kingston NV1 NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB. We took out the old one and installed the new one and started windows 10 installation. Everything went great, it started up in windos and looked great. But then my son wanted to clock up the memory to 3200Mh, we went into the BIOS and found the setting and clocked it up to 3200Mh and started again. After that, the screen has been completely black. A Yellow light has also appeared next to the memory chips (To the left of socket A1). We have tried to remove the CMOS battery, reset CLRTC with jumper. take out memory sticks, insert one and place it in all four ports. None of what we have tried has changed anything. There are lights in memory chips and video cards when we start it, fans also start and everything except the yellow light and the black screens work just fine.
I and not least my son really appreciate the help in this issue.
It worked before resetting memory speed so I think it's still OK. Just make sure the DRAM is in the 2nd and 4th DIMM slots going away from the CPU, usually labeled A2 and B2.

After memory boot failures it can sometimes be difficult to get CMOS to reset. Try removing the battery and shorting the pins with a jumper or screwdriver and leaving it overnight. Of course, remove the power cord from the system when you do this.

When you put it back together and restart it may boot cycle several times until it gets to a screen...probably one asking if you want to press a button to go into BIOS. So be patient.

Once you get it working don't overclock memory by just setting it to 3200, instead find the DOCP setting and use an XMP profile. That applies the right timings as well as voltage so it works at the memory's programmed values as well as it's specc'd clock speeds.

Reactions: Frinito
Were the 2 ram sticks bought in the same kit, or were they two sticks with identical part numbers?

Two separate sticks may have been cheaper, but they are not guaranteed to work together.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.

You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios.

3200 speed ram must be accompanied by higher than stock voltage.
Those settings are implemented by XMP, or in ryzen terms, DOCP.

Also, ryzen is very sensitive to ram, not all ram will work.
Go to the corsair site and access their ram selection app. Verify that the ram you picked is on the support list.

Lastly, there may be a motherboard bios update that is relevant to ram issues.

Solution
Nov 27, 2021
It worked before resetting memory speed so I think it's still OK. Just make sure the DRAM is in the 2nd and 4th DIMM slots going away from the CPU, usually labeled A2 and B2.

After memory boot failures it can sometimes be difficult to get CMOS to reset. Try removing the battery and shorting the pins with a jumper or screwdriver and leaving it overnight. Of course, remove the power cord from the system when you do this.

When you put it back together and restart it may boot cycle several times until it gets to a screen...probably one asking if you want to press a button to go into BIOS. So be patient.

Once you get it working don't overclock memory by just setting it to 3200, instead find the DOCP setting and use an XMP profile. That applies the right timings as well as voltage so it works at the memory's programmed values as well as it's specc'd clock speeds.

Thanks for the good advice in a difficult time :)
We took out the CMOS battery yesterday afternoon / evening (Norwegian time), then we put the jumper on the CLRTC pins and memory chip in slot A2 (Only one RAM and of the new one we bought). So we tried again right now (Norwegian time). It has been on for a while now, but nothing happens to the screen it is still black. There are light memory chips and video card as if everything was fine, but still a yellow light to the left of the memory chip that I think indicates a fault in the RAM.

Nov 27, 2021

3200 speed ram must be accompanied by higher than stock voltage.
Those settings are implemented by XMP, or in ryzen terms, DOCP.

Also, ryzen is very sensitive to ram, not all ram will work.
Go to the corsair site and access their ram selection app. Verify that the ram you picked is on the support list.

Lastly, there may be a motherboard bios update that is relevant to ram issues.

Thanks for your advise :)
The two ram sticks were bought in the same kit. I have also tryed with the old Ram sticks without result. And one RAM at the time.

Last edited:
I hate it when I try to improve a working system and it breaks. :(

Don't know what to tell you.

Your ram is not likely to be the issue since two disparate known good parts fail.

That leaves the motherboard as one possibility.

Increasing ram speed will also increase the ram voltage.
It is hard to imagine that such an action caused any damage to the motherboard or psu.
But, strange things can happen.

The corsair VS650 might be my next guess.
The unit is not considered as very good.
Tier 5/6 on this list:
See if you can't borrow a known good quality psu to test with.
Look for a unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.

Failing that, consider buying a quality replacement. Seasonic is usually good.
If you anticipate a future strong graphics card upgrade in the future, look for 750 or 850w.
The psu will only draw the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capacity.

If you have few budget issues, consider a cpu replacement.
What does the MPK at the end of the 2700X mean?

The 2700X may be limiting on cpu limited games such as sims, strategy or MMO type games.
5600X would be an outstanding upgrade. It will need a current bios level.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021
I hate it when I try to improve a working system and it breaks. :(

Don't know what to tell you.

Your ram is not likely to be the issue since two disparate known good parts fail.

That leaves the motherboard as one possibility.

Increasing ram speed will also increase the ram voltage.
It is hard to imagine that such an action caused any damage to the motherboard or psu.
But, strange things can happen.

The corsair VS650 might be my next guess.
The unit is not considered as very good.
Tier 5/6 on this list:
See if you can't borrow a known good quality psu to test with.
Look for a unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.

Failing that, consider buying a quality replacement. Seasonic is usually good.
If you anticipate a future strong graphics card upgrade in the future, look for 750 or 850w.
The psu will only draw the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capacity.

If you have few budget issues, consider a cpu replacement.
What does the MPK at the end of the 2700X mean?

The 2700X may be limiting on cpu limited games such as sims, strategy or MMO type games.
5600X would be an outstanding upgrade. It will need a current bios level.
Thanks for your advise :)