[SOLVED] Problems After "RESET THIS PC"

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Hello all,

I was having some problems running some games on my SSD where my OS is located, so I decided to go back and clone an earlier image of my system to see if any of the bugs were fixed. After I successfully did that, funnily enough, I decided to then use the RESET THIS PC tool (remove everything) to just start from a clean slate again. Once I did this, it seemed that everything was working OK in the OS, so I proceeded to install all the Windows updates and a few games as well. The last update I installed was the "Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2". I then restarted my computer and started to install my NVIDIA drivers for my RTX 2060, and the installation kept failing. I tried both the manual install (without GeForce experience) and also with GeForce experience. I made sure that no other Windows updates were pending or installing. So then, I decided to try to open Device Manager, but I am getting a User Account Control error stating "This app has been blocked for your protection. An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information, contact the administrator." Note that my account is an administrator. I tried disabling the UAC prompts; doesn't help. I tried creating a separate account with admin rights; doesn't help. I can get to the device manager from the RUN prompt, but I still can't install my NVIDIA drivers. Why am I having all these problems right after I did the RESET THIS PC tool? Perhaps was it one of the Windows updates that I installed?

My rig:
Windows 10 Home Edition
Intel Core i5 8400
16GB RAM
NVIDIA MSI RTX 2060
B360 Bazooka Motherboard

Solution
  • used a system image to roll back to a previous install
  • ran reset
  • win 10 updated you up to version 20H2
I don't know why this would cause nvidia drivers to do that.

This app has been blocked for your protection. An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information, contact the administrator.
you often get this after updates, it fixes itself in an hour or so. it can happen if you run an update in the time set as active hours - https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...~:text=Here's how to set up,Have a great week!

I ended up doing a fresh install of windows with the media creator tool and...

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
I ended up doing a fresh install of windows with the media creator tool and it seems to have fixed the problem. Apparently the RESET THIS PC tool is not at all the same as a fresh windows install.

Colif

Win 11 Master
  • used a system image to roll back to a previous install
  • ran reset
  • win 10 updated you up to version 20H2
I don't know why this would cause nvidia drivers to do that.

This app has been blocked for your protection. An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information, contact the administrator.
you often get this after updates, it fixes itself in an hour or so. it can happen if you run an update in the time set as active hours - https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...~:text=Here's how to set up,Have a great week!

I ended up doing a fresh install of windows with the media creator tool and it seems to have fixed the problem. Apparently the RESET THIS PC tool is not at all the same as a fresh windows install.

reset this pc just touches C drive, it reinstalls win 10 on that partition.
Clean install deletes all partitions on the boot drive and recreates them

I always prefer a fresh install over a reset, as since you can download the latest version of win 10 at any time, it is less updating after the fact.

Solution