Problems after swapping drives on Win98

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.windows98,comp.hardware (More info?)

Hi Folks,
I wonder if anybody can help with this problem, I apologise now for the long
explanation but i want to describe each step.
I have a PC with an 8gb drive running Win98 and would like to swap it with a
16Gb drive.
I used Ghost to create an image of the 8Gb and swapped the drives, the
reinstall of the ghost image was successful in that in completed and the
computer boots using the new drive.
The problem appears when the desktop is due to appear, the screen goes black
and nothing else happens.
The PC would boot into safe mode so my first thoughts were with the Video
card, I reset the resolution in display more and restarted the PC, I was
able to run the PC at 800x600 but when I tried to apply my usual 1024
resolution the same thing happens, i was never able to run at 800 again.
I tried 2 more different video cards without success.
I put the original 8Gb back in the PC and made the 16Gb as slave.
Same thing happens, I fdisked the 16Gb deleted the partitions and formatted
just to make sure that the was no remnants of the OS.
I dont have a problem when I turn off the 16Gb in BIOS, so the problem must
be with the 16Gb.
I have the jumper settings set correctly, both the drives are Maxtor and
have worked without problems previously.
So here is my questions:
Why can I still boot into safe mode without any problems? But ownt boot into
full Windows?
From DOS I can format and store files on the bigger drive?
Best regards,
Ian

Philo

"Ian D. Weatherall" <paw17@csolve.net> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
> I wonder if anybody can help with this problem, I apologise now for the
long
> explanation but i want to describe each step.
> I have a PC with an 8gb drive running Win98 and would like to swap it with
> 16Gb drive.
> I used Ghost to create an image of the 8Gb and swapped the drives, the
> reinstall of the ghost image was successful in that in completed and the
> computer boots using the new drive.
> The problem appears when the desktop is due to appear, the screen goes
black
> and nothing else happens.
> The PC would boot into safe mode so my first thoughts were with the Video
> card, I reset the resolution in display more and restarted the PC, I was
> able to run the PC at 800x600 but when I tried to apply my usual 1024
> resolution the same thing happens, i was never able to run at 800 again.
> I tried 2 more different video cards without success.
> I put the original 8Gb back in the PC and made the 16Gb as slave.
> Same thing happens, I fdisked the 16Gb deleted the partitions and
formatted
> just to make sure that the was no remnants of the OS.
> I dont have a problem when I turn off the 16Gb in BIOS, so the problem
must
> be with the 16Gb.
> I have the jumper settings set correctly, both the drives are Maxtor and
> have worked without problems previously.
> So here is my questions:
> Why can I still boot into safe mode without any problems? But ownt boot
into
> full Windows?
> From DOS I can format and store files on the bigger drive?
> Best regards,
> Ian

go to the maxtor website and download their drive diagnostic utility
then check the 16 gig drive for errors

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.windows98,comp.hardware (More info?)

"Ian D. Weatherall" <paw17@csolve.net> wrote in message news:<_VHGc.65$sX6.1664@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> Hi Folks,
> I wonder if anybody can help with this problem, I apologise now for the long
> explanation but i want to describe each step.
> I have a PC with an 8gb drive running Win98 and would like to swap it with a
> 16Gb drive.
> I used Ghost to create an image of the 8Gb and swapped the drives, the
> reinstall of the ghost image was successful in that in completed and the
> computer boots using the new drive.
> The problem appears when the desktop is due to appear, the screen goes black
> and nothing else happens.
> The PC would boot into safe mode so my first thoughts were with the Video
> card, I reset the resolution in display more and restarted the PC, I was
> able to run the PC at 800x600 but when I tried to apply my usual 1024
> resolution the same thing happens, i was never able to run at 800 again.
> I tried 2 more different video cards without success.
> I put the original 8Gb back in the PC and made the 16Gb as slave.
> Same thing happens, I fdisked the 16Gb deleted the partitions and formatted
> just to make sure that the was no remnants of the OS.
> I dont have a problem when I turn off the 16Gb in BIOS, so the problem must
> be with the 16Gb.
> I have the jumper settings set correctly, both the drives are Maxtor and
> have worked without problems previously.
> So here is my questions:
> Why can I still boot into safe mode without any problems? But ownt boot into
> full Windows?
> From DOS I can format and store files on the bigger drive?
> Best regards,
> Ian

Hi Ian, I have successfully cloned many drives with no problems using
Maxtor's Maxblast 1.10. Ghost must not have done a true clone. Your
next step is to load Windows on top of itself (up to Win 98, I'm not
sure about above 98). You wont lose anything. Something is missing
that is not loaded in safe mode. A reload will put it back. Jim

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.windows98,comp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I thoughted re-installing the OS, but I don't get the
problem when I disconnect the drive. I have d/loaded the diagnostics from
Maxtor to see how that goes.

Regards,

Ian