Question Problems after trying to install a graphics card

KiwiTony

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
Hi guys,

I recently tried installing an older GPU into a PC that I am preparing for my partner to use as her "daily runner" and have run into an issue. The card itself is a GeForce 330 2GB card out of my old PC and worked with no issue.

I've installed a couple of extra hard drives and a cd/dvd drive with no issue and have been testing using the motherboard inputs (VGA).

So I installed the card and went to boot up and got nothing but a black screen. Naturally, I took the card out and plugged in the VGA because I was going to go in and try and disable the on board graphics like I had seen on a video to see if that would work, to my surprise after plugging the VGA cable back in I got a black screen again. Now I'm worried. Can anyone help me please?

The motherboard is an ASUS H170M-PLUS.

I should state that I did not check for compatibility as I assumed it would work without a hitch.

I am a low level PC enthusiast with a very small knowledge base. So please go easy on me!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Geforce 330 is very old, i don't think it's ancient legacy bios is compatible, do you mean 330 or is that a typo? Besides, the cpu's igpu should be much better. But maybe a Gt1030 if need a graphics card?

Try Hdmi port on the motherboard if you have a cable and Tv. And check monitor is on the right input.

If still doesn't work, locate the watch sized battery on the motherboard and remove it for a couple of minutes. Remember which side it goes back. Before removal, power down pc and disconnect power and hold power button for 20 seconds or so to discharge remaining power from capacitors. Removing battery will reset bios to defaults.

KiwiTony

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
Hi thanks for your reply,

I have been busy with work and haven't had much time to take a look into this. Unfortunately it wasn't a typo and I indeed tried to install a very ancient card in.

I have tried the hdmi port and the monitor was set to hdmi and still just powered on with a black screen. I also took the battery out for said minutes and once powered on again still black screen. Turned off and swapped back to VGA but to no avail as still there was only a black screen.

Seems to still power on ok with no beeps or nothing just a black screen. Any other ideas?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Igpu should come back online when graphics card is removed. If gpu is removed and igpu is not working, pull the motherboard battery for a few minutes to reset bios.

Turn pc off and disconnect power before removing the cell battery.

KiwiTony

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
I already tried that. I'll try it again, but I did try it and left it out for about 10 minutes. I put the battery back in and it was the same, just a black screen. Tried with the hdmi and vga.

KiwiTony

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
Triple checked and just get the no signal and then just remains black. Computer seems to run fine. So just to recap - Computer worked absolutely fine, I then stupidly put in a very old card that probably isn't compatible, Turned on and black screen, took card out and tried the motherboard inputs, black screen.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try clear cmos via the pins. Manual should say where they are.

Check there's nothing foreign in the pcie slot the gpu was in.

Reseat ram and check cpu heatsink fan is still connected to cpu_fan header.

Try Hdmi TV if you can to rule out monitor.

TRENDING THREADS