[SOLVED] Problems booting a P5N-E SLI

leo.kerr300

Prominent
Jan 8, 2019
I'm new to building these so i may get something wrong. Anyway i'm trying to boot a P5N-E SLI motherboard with a GV-NX86T256H graphics card. I'm using a dvi to vga adapter as i can't find the dvi cable. I'm using a Samsung 2232BW as the moniter. I put the RAM chip in DIMM B1 and the card in the blue PCIEXT16 slot. The IDE drive is connected to PR1_IDE using a ASUS HDD cable.
The cpu is a Intel core 2 duo clocking in at 2.6Ghz. I don't think i'm leaving anything critical out of it and when i press the power button, it starts up then it just does nothing. I've waited half a hour for it but still nothing. Pictures are available here. If i missed something in it please tell me as i would love to get this up and running.

Solution
If you've installed a processor that is natively supported and everything else is functional (RAM, GPU), then it looks like the motherboard is faulty.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
RAM shouldn't be an issue. BIOS, on the other hand, might be. The Intel Core2Duo E8200 requires BIOS version 0803 in order for it to work with that motherboard. The currently installed BIOS version should be displayed when you first boot the system. You will need your old processor installed in order to update the BIOS for your new processor.

-Wolf sends

leo.kerr300

Prominent
Jan 8, 2019
I can't get it to boot to begin with so i can't get the version. Would installing a q6600 cpu work? I thinks its the only spare one i have right now anyway. Even then, i got the motherboard out of the box and it didn't come with a cpu.

Wolfshadw

Titan
It looks like the initial BIOS version for that board is 0202. The Q6600 requires BIOS version 0608 in order for it to work. I didn't realize this was a board out of the box, so I though you were just updating the CPU.

You're going to need to look at the CPU Support List for that motherboard and find a processor that only requires BIOS version 0202. Install that processor and then update the BIOS to the latest version available. Then you can install either the Q6600 (preferred) or the E8200.

-Wolf sends

leo.kerr300

Prominent
Jan 8, 2019
Also read online the board might be a bit picky about ram so i installed a kvr800d2n5/1g stick but i still have the same problem. The gpu does work as i verified on a asus rampage formula(unfortunately i pulled the ram out a bit too hard and it broke the socket) so thats not the problem.