Problems Connecting 24 pin PSU connector to mother board

gylroy838

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Hey Guys,
I am new to building a computer, i just started my build.
I have
msi gaming pro carbon z270
and
CORSAIR TX-M Series CP-9020131-NA 750W ATX12V PSU

I am at a point where I need to connect the 24 Pin PSU connector to the mother board but when i connect it it will never go in. It goes 90% of the way. I saw some more posts regarding this issue with Corsair but I thought of getting an extension cable Silverstone PP07-MBW Motherboard 24pin Connector Sleeved Extension Power Supply Cable from https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812162041 and connecting the Corsair PSU cable to the extension cable and connecting the extension cable to the mother board. I saw a guy on Youtube having a similar set up but he did not go over how he put the cables together. I am wondering if this is a good idea? if theres anything I may need to know about the cables? if they will be able to support the power supply? Please let me know or if you tried something similar let me know

Thanks

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I've never heard of this 24 pin issue? Could you elaborate?

The 24 pins only "fit" one way due to the locking connector - is it possible you're trying to put it in backwards? Or you don't have the +4pin lipped under the 20pin aspect?

An extension can work, but are usually aesthetic only. There's not reason to "need" an extension in your case.

gylroy838

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017

gylroy838

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
So when I put the 24 pin connector it does have the 4pin connected to the 20 pin. And the mother board requires that 24 pin connection. I definitely tried putting the cable the correct way because I spent hours trying to push it in. I looked online and made sure that the cable clip is facing the correct way. The clip does not make that click sound when i push it in. I see it being very close to being pushed in completely but it just wont go in no matter how much force i could put in. I am thinking if i connect the extension cable to the PSU cable and I hope the extension cable will connect to the motherboard, I am wondering if this will cause any issues with the power supply to the mother board?

Check you're trying to insert it correctly and that both the 4pin and 20 pin parts are holding together correctly, this isn't an insult, we've all misconnected cables n the past and will probably do so in the future, so no harm in making double sure.
Also, is the cable too short or have your routed it in such a way as to put a lot of strain on it? This big connector is a pain to connect at the best of times and trying to do so while it's tightly bent or at the limits of its reach is going to cause problems.
Otherwise you can try to smear a little petroleum jelly on the connector to lubricate it-it's perfectly safe on both the plastics and contacts so don't worry if some spills over. As an additional point, I always try to wedge a couple of fingers under the motherboard when doing this, they both to support the big connector and to allow me to safely use more force.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No, the extension wouldn't cause any problems in itself.

That being said, it sounds like perhaps the 24pin connectors have a defect, if they're the wrong length to "click" in place.
IF that is the case (I'd be surprised), then the extension would likely have the same issue (where the PSU connects to the extension).

Those connectors are the same dimensions as the motherboard 24pin connector....... so if you can't secure the PSU ATX into the motherboard, you likely won't be able to secure them into the extension either.

gylroy838

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017

gylroy838

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Thank you, I will take a look at the 4+20 pin connection. It might be the issue there, maybe I haven't spent much time looking into that. I did use my fingers to get underneath the board. It does help but wouldn't connect it. The PSU cable is shorter so maybe the extension cable can give me some more room to work with, hopefully easier to install. I will get back after I see if 4+20 connection could be the issue.

gylroy838

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017

gylroy838

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
It might be defective, but i am thinking it would be easier to plug the two cables outside the case maybe use something to push it in easier, hopefully the extension cable connects to the mother board without problems

gylroy838

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
incase anyone runs into the same issue as this, connecting the external cable worked beautiful! in fit into the mother board easily, and the PSU 24 pin connected into the external cable very easily too. The computer seems to run well as of right now.