[SOLVED] Problems connecting female 4 pin RGB cable to motherboard JRGB header

greenteaisgreat

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
So as the title says, I’m having difficulty in getting the RGB colored fans to sync with the motherboard. The fans are working, just the color isn’t syncing and it’s flashing red and not allowing me to change it. The fans came with the case (Thermaltake Versa J24 RGB) and there’s an RGB controller on the back that also came with the case. The mobo is an MSI B450 Pro Carbon and I’m putting the female 4 pin 12vRGB cable that came with the case into the JRGB1 plug on the motherboard. Nothing. I even downloaded MSI Mystic light sync and still nothing. What am I doing wrong and how do I sync the fan color with the motherboard?

Solution
Non-addressable RGBs, the whole strip/array of RGB LEDs displays one colour at any time. This colour can transition, shift, breath/pulse, etc, across the entire RGB LED colour spectrum - and Mystic light provides a variety of snazzy themes/effects - but every RGB LED is always exactly the same colour as all its neighbours at any given instant, the whole strip is "all or nothing".

Addressable RGBs, each RGB LED (or segment/block of RGB LEDs) can display a different colour and intensity than its neighbours. Some could be lit in one colour or lit in another or more intense or less intense while others are simultaneously displaying something else. Everything that non-addressable RGB does but more fancy animation/striping/chasing effects...

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I think the fan controller is the thing controlling the lights on the fan, not the motherboard. Also not all motherboards can control all lights. You have to check if the lights on the case support MSI Mystic lighting

greenteaisgreat

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
I think the fan controller is the thing controlling the lights on the fan, not the motherboard. Also not all motherboards can control all lights. You have to check if the lights on the case support MSI Mystic lighting
The page for the case does say it’s compatible with MSI mystic lighting

(https://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis...ersa_J24Tempered_Glass_RGB_Edition/design.htm)

It even shows the JRGB header to plug it into. But when I go into the Mystic lighting interface that controls the lighting, I can’t get it to initialize the colors. Do you think it’s a different header I need to plug it into?

Apr 27, 2019
try looking into your bios settings instead of some software on your windows there are plenty options for RGB in the bios
This is my first time building a computer so I am not that familiar with navigating through bios. The case comes with a fan controller board and the motherboard manual says that should be connected to the jcorsair1 connector but the case manual says to connect it to the JRGB1 connector. The jcorsair1 has 3 pins and the JRGB1 has 4. I can't seem to find any cable in the box that would fit the 3 pin one.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
This is my first time building a computer so I am not that familiar with navigating through bios. The case comes with a fan controller board and the motherboard manual says that should be connected to the jcorsair1 connector but the case manual says to connect it to the JRGB1 connector. The jcorsair1 has 3 pins and the JRGB1 has 4. I can't seem to find any cable in the box that would fit the 3 pin one.
well BIOS is more BASIC , so everything you might wanna do it's better to do it in the BIOS settings . rather than a program that comes with your mother board .

Jun 30, 2019
Ensure the pins connecting the lighting controller to the motherboard are oriented the correct way. There should be the 12v power pin and the R, G, and B pins. After the switch is working and the controller is connected, press and hold down the switch button on the case for three seconds to give control to the motherboard. Hope this helps.

Non-addressable RGBs, the whole strip/array of RGB LEDs displays one colour at any time. This colour can transition, shift, breath/pulse, etc, across the entire RGB LED colour spectrum - and Mystic light provides a variety of snazzy themes/effects - but every RGB LED is always exactly the same colour as all its neighbours at any given instant, the whole strip is "all or nothing".

Addressable RGBs, each RGB LED (or segment/block of RGB LEDs) can display a different colour and intensity than its neighbours. Some could be lit in one colour or lit in another or more intense or less intense while others are simultaneously displaying something else. Everything that non-addressable RGB does but more fancy animation/striping/chasing effects are possible. Higher cost and complexity.

Your motherboard has:
  • 2 x 5050 RGB LED strip 12V connectors (JRGB1~2)
  • 1 x WS2812B Individually Addressable RGB LED strip 5V connector (JRAINBOW1)
An RGB header is only for lighting, The header has literally nothing to do with fans, and does not have the appropriate pinout to run them. You'd still have to plug the fan part into a fan header.

Solution