Problems connecting my wireless router using a cable

Bobby

I tried to connect a cable from my laptop to my Belkin router/modem and
although the network was recognised ("cable connected" etc.) I couldn't
access any network resources.

I thought that it was just a case of connecting a cable and disabling my
wireless card? When I tried this, the system tray reported a (cabled)
connection and a disabled wireless connection but I couldn't access the Net
nor shared resources.

What am I doing wrong? It's a Belkin 7630 modem/router running under Windows
XP SP2.

Cheers.

Bobby

"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in news:2pc4qvFivngsU1@uni-berlin.de:

> I tried to connect a cable from my laptop to my Belkin router/modem
> and although the network was recognised ("cable connected" etc.) I
> couldn't access any network resources.
>
> I thought that it was just a case of connecting a cable and disabling
> my wireless card? When I tried this, the system tray reported a
> (cabled) connection and a disabled wireless connection but I couldn't
> access the Net nor shared resources.

What IP are you getting when you do IPconfig at the DOS prompt?
The TCP/IP maybe locked and the IP assigned will not allow access to the
Internet for wired or wireless. The TCP/IP stack may need to be reset on
XP. You can search Google on *How to reset the TCP/IP Stack on XP*, if
it's locked.

You may want to delete the Netbeui protocol and just go with MS Client,
MS File and Print Sharing and TCP/IP on all machines.

Duane :)

TRENDING THREADS